The Regional Allocation of Public Investment: Efficiency or Equity?
AbstractIn this paper we examine the effect of public investment on the regional economies of Japan. The efficient policy for regional allocation of public capital is to invest in highly productive regions, whereas the actual policy pursues equity goals by allocating more public investment to depressed regions. We determine the effects of this equity- oriented allocation by estimating the aggregate regional production function and calculating the productivity of public capital stock for each region, using a cross-sectional time-series data set. Our results show that the marginal productivity of public capital has recently declined in most depressed regions, whereas the productivity in developed regions (e.g., Tokyo, Osaka) has increased slightly. We compare alternative policies of allocating public investment and their effects on the regional and national economies using numerical simulations. We then quantitatively describe the trade-off between the efficient and the equitable allocation of public investment. Copyright 2000 Blackwell Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 40 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-4146
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Albert Solé-Ollé, 2009.
"Inter-Regional redistribution through infrastructure investment: tactical or programmatic?,"
2009/32, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Albert Solé-Ollé, 2009. "Inter-regional redistribution through infrastructure investment: tactical or programmatic?," Working Papers XREAP2009-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2009.
- Germa Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2009.
"Preventing competition because of 'solidarity': rhetoric and reality of airport investments in Spain,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(22), pages 2853-2865.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Preventing competition because of “solidarity”: Rhetoric and reality of airport investments in Spain," Public Economics 0511012, EconWPA.
- Benos, Nikos & Karagiannis, Stelios, 2013. "Do Cross-Section Dependence and Parameter Heterogeneity Matter? Evidence on Human Capital and Productivity in Greece," MPRA Paper 53326, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Tomoyasu Tanaka, 2010. "Productivity effects and determinants of public infrastructure investment," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 493-521, June.
- Duarte Bom, P.R., 2011. "The macroeconomics of fiscal policy and public capital," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5067552, Tilburg University.
- Kawaguchi, Daiji & Ohtake, Fumio & Tamada, Keiko, 2009. "The productivity of public capital: Evidence from Japan's 1994 electoral reform," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 332-343, September.
- Anita Tuladhar & Markus Bruckner, 2010. "Public Investment As a Fiscal Stimulus," IMF Working Papers 10/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Nemoto, Jiro & Goto, Mika, 2005. "Productivity, efficiency, scale economies and technical change: A new decomposition analysis of TFP applied to the Japanese prefectures," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 617-634, December.
- Pedro R.D. Bom & Jenny E. Ligthart, 2009. "How Productive is Public Capital? A Meta-Regression Analysis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0912, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2010. "Is it Redistribution or Centralization? On the Determinants of Government Investment in Infrastructure," Working Papers XREAP2010-15, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2010.
- Albert Solé-Ollé, 2013. "Inter-regional redistribution through infrastructure investment: tactical or programmatic?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 156(1), pages 229-252, July.
- Heinz Handler & Andreas Knabe & Bertrand Koebel & Margit Schratzenstaller & Sven Wehke, 2005. "The Impact of Public Budgets on Overall Productivity Growth," WIFO Working Papers 255, WIFO.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Yannis Psycharis & Vassilis Tselios, 2012.
"Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece,"
2012-05, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Yannis Psycharis & Vassilis Tselios, 2012. "Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(3), pages 543-568, 08.
- Psycharis, Yannis & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis, 2012. "Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece," CEPR Discussion Papers 9011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matsumoto, Mutsumi, 2008. "Redistribution and regional development under tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 480-487.e1, September.
- Makiko Nakano & Shunsuke Managi, 2012. "Waste generations and efficiency measures in Japan," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 14(4), pages 327-339, October.
- Andreas Stephan, 2007. "Zur Politischen Ökonomie öffentlicher Infrastrukturausgaben," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8(s1), pages 116-132, 04.
- Valter Di Giacinto & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2012. "The Macroeconomic Impact of Infrastructures: A Literature Review and Empirical Analysis on the Case of Italy," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 1, March.
- Sylvie Charlot & Virginie Piguet & Bertrand Schmitt, 2003. "Capital public et productivite quels effets sur les disparites regionales ?," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 0(6), pages 851-880.
- Higashikata, Takayuki, 2013. "Factor decomposition of income inequality change : Japan's regional income disparity from 1955 to 1998," IDE Discussion Papers 400, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Daiji Kawaguchi & Fumio Ohtake & Keiko Tamada, 2005. "The Productivity of Public Capital: Evidence from the 1994 Electoral Reform of Japan," ISER Discussion Paper 0627, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.