Ceo Locus of Control and Small Firm Performance: an Integrative Framework and Empirical Test
AbstractPrevious research on the impact of chief executive officer (CEO) locus of control is mainly based on simple and partial mappings of bivariate associations between CEO locus of control and organizational outcomes. In addition, distinct substreams have emerged in which intricately related phenomena are studied separately. to overcome this fragmentation and polarization, we provide and empirically test an integrative framework based on previously tested hypotheses on the impact of CEO locus of control. Our approach differs from prior research in two ways. First, it simultaneously takes account of strategic choice and firm performance in order to assess the extent to which strategy mediates the relationship between CEO locus of control and organizational performance. Second, we consider the CEO to be both a formulator and implementor of organizational strategies. Besides the observation that CEO locus of control seems to matter a lot in terms of explaining organizational performance in the present sample, our results demonstrate that an integrative approach increases our insight into the impact of CEO locus of control by revealing why some CEOs achieve higher organizational performance than others. Copyright 1996 Basil Blackwell Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Management Studies.
Volume (Year): 33 (1996)
Issue (Month): 5 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2380
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sahin, M. & Nijkamp, P. & Rietdijk, M., 2009. "Cultural Diversity and Urban Innovativeness: Personal and Business Characteristics of Urban Migrant Entrepreneurs," Serie Research Memoranda 0033, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Geert Devos & Karlien Vanderheyden & Herman Van den Broeck, 2002. "A framework for assessing commitment to change. Process and context variables of organizational change," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2002-11, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Spaenjers, C., 2009.
"Where Angels Fear to Trade: The Role of Religion in Household Finance,"
2009-018, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Spaenjers, C., 2009. "Where Angels Fear to Trade: The Role of Religion in Household Finance," Discussion Paper 2009-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Harabi, Najib, 2001. "The Formation of New Firms – An Empirical Analysis from Switzerland," MPRA Paper 4418, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wijbenga, Frits H. & van Witteloostuijn, Arjen, 2007. "Entrepreneurial locus of control and competitive strategies - The moderating effect of environmental dynamism," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 566-589, October.
- Harabi, Najib, 2003.
"Déterminants de la croissance des entreprises: Une analyse empirique du Maroc
[Determinants of Firm Growth: An Empirical Analysis from Morocco]," MPRA Paper 4440, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boone,Christophe & Olffen,Woody,van & Witteloostuijn,Arjan,van, 2003. "TEAM COMPOSITION, LEADERSHIP AND INFORMATION-PROCESSING BEHAVIOR A simulation game study of the locus-of-control personality trait," Research Memoranda 035, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- van Praag, Mirjam & van Witteloostuijn, Arjen & van der Sluis, Justin, 2009. "Returns for Entrepreneurs vs. Employees: The Effect of Education and Personal Control on the Relative Performance of Entrepreneurs vs. Wage Employees," IZA Discussion Papers 4628, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Harabi, Najib, 2007. "Picking Winners and Losers: An Empirical Analysis of Industrial Policy in Morocco," MPRA Paper 4194, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harabi, Najib, 2005. "Determinants of Firm Growth: An Empirical Analysis from Morocco," MPRA Paper 4394, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kayhan Tajeddini & Stephen Mueller, 2009. "Entrepreneurial characteristics in Switzerland and the UK: A comparative study of techno-entrepreneurs," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Wilderom, C.P.M. & Berg, P. van den, 2000. "Firm Culture and Leadership as Firm Performance Predictors: a Resource-Based Perspective," Discussion Paper 2000-03, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boone,Christophe & Olffen, van,Woody, 2002. "Psychological team diversity and strategy implementation," Research Memoranda 004, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Justen van der Sluis & Arjen van Witteloostuijn, 2004. "The Impact of the Locus-of-Control Personality Trait on the Earnings of Entrepreneurs vis-à-vis Employees," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-130/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 18 Sep 2007.
- Boone,Christophe & Olffen, van,Woody & Roijakkers,Nadine, 2002. "Locus of control and study program choice: evidence of personality sorting in educational choice," Research Memoranda 005, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Herman Van den Broeck & Karlien Vanderheyden & Eva Cools, 2003. "Individual differences in cognitive styles: development, validation and cross-validation of the cognitive style inventory," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2003-27, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Boone, Christophe & van Olffen, Woody & van Witteloostuijn, Arjen, 1998. "Psychological team make-up as a determinant of economic firm performance: An experimental study," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 43-73, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.