Do External Auditors Perform a Corporate Governance Role in Emerging Markets? Evidence from East Asia
AbstractIn emerging markets, the agency conflicts between controlling owners and the minority shareholders are difficult to mitigate through conventional corporate control mechanisms such as boards of directors and takeovers. We examine whether external independent auditors are employed as monitors or as bonding mechanisms, or both, to alleviate the agency problems. Using a broad sample from eight East Asian economies, we document that firms with agency problems embedded in the ownership structures are more likely to employ Big 5 auditors. This relation is evident among firms that raise equity capital frequently. Consistently, firms hiring Big 5 auditors receive smaller share price discounts associated with the agency conflicts. Also, we find that Big 5 auditors take into consideration their clients' agency problems when making audit fee and audit report decisions. Taken together, these results suggest that Big 5 auditors do have a corporate governance role in emerging markets. Copyright University of Chicago on behalf of the Institute of Professional Accounting, 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Accounting Research.
Volume (Year): 43 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-8456
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saibal Ghosh, 2011.
"Firm ownership type, earnings management and auditor relationships: evidence from India,"
Managerial Auditing Journal,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 350-369, May.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2010. "Firm Ownership Type, Earnings Management and Auditor Relationships: Evidence from India," MPRA Paper 30322, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Attig, Najah & Guedhami, Omrane & Mishra, Dev, 2008. "Multiple large shareholders, control contests, and implied cost of equity," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 721-737, December.
- Haw, In-Mu & Ho, Simon S.M. & Hu, Bingbing & Zhang, Xu, 2011. "The contribution of stock repurchases to the value of the firm and cash holdings around the world," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 152-166, February.
- Lesage, Cédric & Ben Ali, Chiraz, 2011. "ownership concentration and audit fees: do auditors matter most when investors are protected least ?," Les Cahiers de Recherche 951, HEC Paris.
- Effiezal Aswadi Abdul Wahab & Mazlina Mat Zain & Kieran James, 2011. "Political connections, corporate governance and audit fees in Malaysia," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(5), pages 393-418, May.
- D'Agosto, Elena, 2007. "Investor Protection and Corporate Performance: Comparing Auditing Issues across countries," MPRA Paper 50990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Song, Liang & Wachtel , Paul, 2013. "Institutional development and stock price synchronicity: Evidence from China," BOFIT Discussion Papers 20/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Connelly, J. Thomas & Limpaphayom, Piman & Nagarajan, Nandu J., 2012. "Form versus substance: The effect of ownership structure and corporate governance on firm value in Thailand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1722-1743.
- Mazlina Mustapha & Ayoib Che Ahmad, 2011. "Agency theory and managerial ownership: evidence from Malaysia," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(5), pages 419-436, May.
- Francis, Jere R. & Richard, Chrystelle & Vanstraelen, Ann, 2009. "Assessing France’s joint audit requirement: are two heads better than one?," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-23111, Maastricht University.
- Ball, Ray & Jayaraman, Sudarshan & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2012. "Audited financial reporting and voluntary disclosure as complements: A test of the Confirmation Hypothesis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 136-166.
- Guedhami, Omrane & Pittman, Jeffrey A. & Saffar, Walid, 2009. "Auditor choice in privatized firms: Empirical evidence on the role of state and foreign owners," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2-3), pages 151-171, December.
- Armstrong, Christopher S. & Guay, Wayne R. & Weber, Joseph P., 2010. "The role of information and financial reporting in corporate governance and debt contracting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 179-234, December.
- Gul, Ferdinand A. & Kim, Jeong-Bon & Qiu, Annie A., 2010. "Ownership concentration, foreign shareholding, audit quality, and stock price synchronicity: Evidence from China," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 425-442, March.
- Mikko Zerni, 2012. "Do client firms manage the perception of auditor independence?: Evidence from the Swedish non-audit service market," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(9), pages 821-845.
- Michael De Martinis & Hironori Fukukawa & Theodore J. Mock, 2011. "Exploring the role of country and client type on the auditor's client risk assessments and audit planning decisions," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(7), pages 543-565, July.
- Effiezal Aswadi Abdul Wahab & Mazlina Mat Zain & Kieran James & Hasnah Haron, 2009. "Institutional investors, political connection and audit quality in Malaysia," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(2), pages 167-195, September.
- A.K.M. Waresul Karim & Tony van Zijl & Sabur Mollah, 2013. "Impact of board ownership, CEO-Chair duality and foreign equity participation on auditor quality choice of IPO companies: Evidence from an emerging market," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 148-169, March.
- Ezzeddine Abaoub & Soumaya Ayedi Chabchoub, 2008. "La demande de la qualité de l'audit externe : Quel apport de la théorie d'agence dans le contexte tunisien ?," Post-Print halshs-00522064, HAL.
- Mehdi Nekhili & Moêz Cherif, 2011. "Related parties transactions and firm's market value: the French case," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(3), pages 291-315, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.