Evidence on the Joint Determination of Audit and Non-Audit Fees
AbstractIn this study we investigate whether the characteristics of clients, auditors, and the auditor-client relationship simultaneously determine audit and non-audit fees. As done in prior studies, we maintain that fees proxy for the level of service provided and follow the physical flow of knowledge. Estimating single-equation models of audit and non-audit fee models, we confirm prior findings of an association between audit and non-audit fees. Studies conclude that such evidence is consistent with knowledge spillovers between the two services. However, we document empirically that audit and non-audit fees are simultaneously determined. Because the data indicate audit and non-audit fees are jointly determined, we then investigate whether previously documented associations between audit and non-audit fees are the result of biased estimation induced by using endogenous variables in single-equation models. In contrast to results from single-equation estimations, we find no association between audit and non-audit fees using a simultaneous specification of the fee system, suggesting that single-equation estimations suffer from simultaneous-equations bias. In sum, the findings are not consistent with the existence of economies of scope from the joint performance of audit and non-audit services after controlling for the joint behavior of audit and non-audit fees. Given the ongoing debate over the level of allowed non-audit services by auditors, the argument for the joint provision of audit and non-audit services is less justified than if joint-supply benefits had been documented. Copyright University of Chicago on behalf of the Institute of Professional Accounting, 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Accounting Research.
Volume (Year): 41 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-8456
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chan, Lilian H. & Chen, Kevin C.W. & Chen, Tai-Yuan & Yu, Yangxin, 2012. "The effects of firm-initiated clawback provisions on earnings quality and auditor behavior," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 180-196.
- Vieru, Markku & Schadewitz, Hannu, 2010. "Impact of IFRS transition on audit and non-audit fees: evidence from small and medium-sized listed companies in Finland," MPRA Paper 44664, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ismail Adelopo & Kumba Jallow & Peter Scott, 2012. "Multiple large ownership structure, audit committee activity and audit fees: Evidence from the UK," Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 13(2), pages 100-121.
- Chang, Hsihui & Choy, Hiu Lam & Cooper, William W. & Parker, Barnett R. & Ruefli, Timothy W., 2009. "Measuring productivity growth, technical progress, and efficiency changes of CPA firms prior to, and following the Sarbanes-Oxley Act," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 221-228, December.
- Rick Antle & Elizabeth Gordon & Ganapathi Narayanamoorthy & Ling Zhou, 2006. "The joint determination of audit fees, non-audit fees, and abnormal accruals," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 235-266, November.
- Andrew Ferguson, 2005. "A Review of Australian Audit Pricing Literature," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 54-62, September.
- R. Mithu Dey & Mary W. Sullivan, 2012. "Was Dodd-Frank justified in granting internal control audit exemption to small firms?," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(7), pages 666-692, July.
- Bernard Raffournier & Alain Schatt, 2011. "La relation entre honoraires d'audit et honoraires de conseil des auditeurs dans un contexte post-SOX : Le cas suisse," Post-Print hal-00650561, HAL.
- Callaghan, Joseph H. & Parkash, Mohinder & Singhal, Rajeev, 2008. "The impact of the Multi-jurisdiction Disclosure System on audit fees of cross-listed Canadian firms," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 99-113.
- Christopher Bleibtreu & Ulrike Stefani, 2011. "Auditing, Consulting, and Audit Market Concentration," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2011-28, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Raghavan J. Iyengar & Judy Land & Ernest M. Zampelli, 2010. "Does board governance improve the quality of accounting earnings?," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(1), pages 49-68, July.
- Jonathan Stanley & F. Todd De Zoort & Gary Taylor, 2009. "The association between insider trading surrounding going concern audit opinions and future bankruptcy," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(3), pages 290-312, April.
- Ball, Ray & Jayaraman, Sudarshan & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2012. "Audited financial reporting and voluntary disclosure as complements: A test of the Confirmation Hypothesis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 136-166.
- Oana Raluca Ivan, 2011. "Audit Fee Econometrical Models An Overview Of The Auditing Research Literature," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(13), pages 20.
- Larcker, David F. & Rusticus, Tjomme O., 2010. "On the use of instrumental variables in accounting research," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 186-205, April.
- L. Van De Velde & I. De Beelde, 2009. "Audit- and non-audit fees and company characteristics in Belgium," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/589, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Hope, Ole-Kristian & Langli, John Christian & Thomas, Wayne B., 2012. "Agency conflicts and auditing in private firms," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 500-517.
- Sophie Audousset-Coulier, 2006. "L'influence du gouvernement d'entreprise et du co-commissariat aux comptes sur la détermination des honoraires d'audit des sociétés cotées françaises," Post-Print halshs-00548082, HAL.
- Magdy S. Farag & Rafik Z. Elias, 2012. "Public accounting firms' mix of service revenue and average productivity: Evidence using revenue per partner," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(8), pages 712-727.
- Mikko Zerni, 2012. "Do client firms manage the perception of auditor independence?: Evidence from the Swedish non-audit service market," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(9), pages 821-845.
- Christopher Bleibtreu & Ulrike Stefani, 2012. "The Interdependence Between Audit Market Structure and the Quality of Financial Reporting: The Case of Non-Audit Services," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2012-01, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Juan Monterrey Mayoral & Amparo Sánchez-Segura, 2007. "Rotación y dependencia económica de los auditores: sus efectos sobre la calidad del resultado en las compañías cotizadas españolas," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 31(1), pages 119-159, January.
- Thomas G. Calderon & Li Wang & Thomas Klenotic, 2012. "Past control risk and current audit fees," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(7), pages 693-708, July.
- Gopal V. Krishnan & Wei Yu, 2011. "Further evidence on knowledge spillover and the joint determination of audit and non-audit fees," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 230-247, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.