Partial Ownership Arrangements and Collusion in the Automobile Industry
AbstractThis paper develops a conjectural variation model that allows for partial ownership arrangements and foreign trade. This model is applied to the Japanese and U.S. automobile industries. Although collusion is found to occur in the Japanese automobile industry, it is found to be more competitive than the U.S. automobile industry. The effect imports have on firms' price-cost margins in both countries is also found to be different. Copyright 1997 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00143911 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luciano Fanti, 2011. "Welfare effects of cross-ownership in a unionised duopoly," Discussion Papers 2011/125, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Luciano Fanti, 2011. "Product differentiation and duopoly: when social welfare benefits from cross-shareholding," Discussion Papers 2011/129, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Micola, Augusto Ruperez & Bunn, Derek W., 2008. "Crossholdings, concentration and information in capacity-constrained sealed bid-offer auctions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 66(3-4), pages 748-766, June.
- Choi, Byong-Sam & Ahn, Byong-Hun & Park, Yong-Sam, 2003. "Cross ownership of wireline and wireless communications carriers: synergy or collusion?," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 485-499, December.
- Rupayan Pal, 2010.
"How much should you own? Cross-ownership and privatization,"
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers
2010-015, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Rupayan Pal, 2012. "How much should you own? Cross-ownership and privatization," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2012-008, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Bárcena-Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Campo, María Luz, 2012.
"Partial cross-ownership and strategic environmental policy,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 198-210.
- Bárcena Ruiz, Juan Carlos & Campo Corredera, María Luz, 2011. "Partial cross-ownership and strategic environmental policy," IKERLANAK 2011-47, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Hiroshi Ono & Takuya Nakazato & Colin Davis & Wilson Alley, 2004. "Partial ownership arrangements in the Japanese automobile industry; 1990-2000," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 355-367, November.
- Rasha Ahmed & Kathleen Segerson, 2007. "Emissions Control and the Regulation of Product Markets: The Case of Automobiles," Working papers 2007-40, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011. "Cross-ownership and stability in a Cournot duopoly," MPRA Paper 34574, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rupayan Pal, 2010. "How Much Should You Own? Cross-ownership and Privatization," Working Papers id:2810, eSocialSciences.
- Niklas Potrafke, 2007. "Social Security in Germany: A Prey of Political Opportunism?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 677, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Juan Carlos Barcena-Ruiz & Norma Olaizola, 2007. "Cost-saving production technologies and partial ownership," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(6), pages 1-8.
- Juan Carlos Bárcena-Ruiz & María Luz Campo, 2010. "Wage bargaining and partial ownership," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 37(1 Year 20), pages 27-42, June.
- Shelegia, Sandro & Spiegel, Yossi, 2012. "Bertrand competition when firms hold passive ownership stakes in one another," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 136-138.
- Luciano Fanti, 2011. "Cross-participated firms and welfare," Discussion Papers 2011/127, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Fanti, Luciano, 2013. "Cross-ownership and unions in a Cournot duopoly: When profits reduce with horizontal product differentiation," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 34-40.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.