On the Measurement of Capacity Utilization
AbstractCapacity utilization is usually defined as the ratio of actual output to the output corresponding to (1) the minimum point on the short-run average total cost curve, and (2) the point of tangency between the long-run average total cost and short-run average total cost curves. In practice, however, capacity utilization is often measured as the ratio of actual to the maximum potential output consistent with a given capital stock. This paper demonstrates how to estimate the theoretical measures of capacity utilization, and examines the correlation between three measures of capacity utilization, and the McGraw-Hill estimates of capacity utilization, using data from a sample of U.S. privately-owned electric utilities for 1961-83. Copyright 1989 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Prior, Diego, 2003. "Long- and short-run non-parametric cost frontier efficiency: An application to Spanish savings banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 655-671, April.
- Roberto Fazioli & Massimo Filippini, 1997. "Cost Structure and Product Mix of Local Public Theatres," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 77-86, March.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2006.
"Direct And Indirect Measures Of Capacity Utilization: A Non-Parametric Analysis Of Us Manufacturing,"
University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 526-548, 07.
- Subhash C. Ray & Kankana Mukherjee & Yanna Wu, 2005. "Direct and Indirect Measures of Capacity Utilization: A Nonparametric Analysis of U.S. Manufacturing," Working papers 2005-36, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010.
"Tangency capacity notions based upon the profit and cost functions: A non-parametric approach and a general comparison,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1156-1166, September.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010. "Tangency Capacity Notions Based upon the Profit and Cost Functions: A Non-Parametric Approach and a General Comparison," Working Papers 2010/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Wu, Wei-Ming, 2009. "An approach for measuring the optimal fleet capacity: Evidence from the container shipping lines in Taiwan," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 118-126, November.
- Sarba Priya Ray, 2011. "Economic Efficiency in Indian Rubber Industry," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 5(4), December.
- James Kirkley & Catherine Morrison Paul & Dale Squires, 2002. "Capacity and Capacity Utilization in Common-pool Resource Industries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 71-97, June.
- Itziar Lazkano, 2008. "Cost Structure and Capacity Utilisation in Multi-product Industries: An Application to the Basque Trawl Industry," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(2), pages 189-207, October.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior, 2009. "Tangency Capacity Notions Based upon the Pro?t and Cost Functions: A Non-Parametric Approach and a Comparison," Working Papers 2009-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & De Borger, Bruno, 2009.
"Static Efficiency Decompositions and Capacity Utilisation: Integrating Economic and Technical Capacity Notions,"
2009/30, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2012. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(31), pages 4125-4141, November.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2013. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(24), pages 3529-3529, August.
- Pascoe, Sean & Tingley, Diana, 2006. "Economic capacity estimation in fisheries: A non-parametric ray approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 124-138, May.
- Escobari, Diego & Lee, Jim, 2013. "Demand Uncertainty and Capacity Utilization in Airlines," MPRA Paper 46059, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- H. Kim, 1999. "Economic Capacity Utilization and its Determinants: Theory and Evidence," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 321-339, December.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Tone, Kaoru, 2009. "Decomposing capacity utilization in data envelopment analysis: An application to banks in India," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(2), pages 575-594, June.
- Kalyuzhnova, Yelena & Vagliasindi, Maria, 2006. "Capacity utilization of the Kazakhstani firms and the Russian financial crisis: A panel data analysis," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 231-248, October.
- Squires, Dale & Jeon, Yongil & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James, 2010. "Controlling excess capacity in common-pool resource industries: the transition from input to output controls," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(3), September.
- Kaustuva Barik, 2005. "Capacity Utilization in Indian Paper Industry," Microeconomics 0503001, EconWPA.
- Dupont, Diane P. & Grafton, R. Quentin & Kirkley, James & Squires, Dale, 2002. "Capacity utilization measures and excess capacity in multi-product privatized fisheries," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 193-210, June.
- Gary Ferrier & Hervé Leleu & Vivian Valdmanis, 2009. "Hospital capacity in large urban areas: is there enough in times of need?," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 103-117, October.
- Marini, Giovanni & Pannone, Andrea, 2007. "Capital and capacity utilization revisited: A theory for ICT-assisted production systems," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 231-248, June.
- E. Abdul Azeez, 2002. "Economic reforms and industrial performance: An analysis of capacity utilisation in Indian manufacturing," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 334, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.