Commonality in Liquidity: Evidence from an Order-Driven Market Structure
AbstractEvents such as the 1997 East Asian financial crisis indicate that individual firm liquidity is strongly influenced by marketwide factors. Previous market microstructure research, however, focuses almost exclusively on the firm-specific attributes of liquidity. Our study follows the recent shift in emphasis toward commonality by examining systematic liquidity in an order-driven market structure. Using data from the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong, we show that commonality in liquidity includes both market and industry components, and is pervasive across size-sorted portfolios. We also find a significant market and industry component in individual firms' order flow. In contrast to quote-driven results, we do not find a positive relation between firm size and sensitivity to changes in marketwide bid-ask spreads. 2002 The Southern Finance Association and the Southwestern Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association in its journal Journal of Financial Research.
Volume (Year): 25 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0270-2592
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergio Mayordomo & Juan Ignacio Peña & María Rodríguez-Moreno, 2012. "Liquidity Commonalities in the Corporate CDS Market around the 2007-2012 Financial Crisis," Faculty Working Papers 23/12, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew & Lee, Kuan-Hui & van Dijk, Mathijs A., 2012. "Understanding commonality in liquidity around the world," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 82-112.
- Wang, Jianxin, 2013. "Liquidity commonality among Asian equity markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1209-1231.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Xinwei Zheng, 2012. "Asymmetric Information and Market Decline: Evidence from the Chinese Market," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 15(03), pages 1250019-1-1.
- Domowitz, Ian & Hansch, Oliver & Wang, Xiaoxin, 2005. "Liquidity commonality and return co-movement," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 351-376, November.
- Berry-Stölzle, Thomas R., 2008. "The impact of illiquidity on the asset management of insurance companies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-14, August.
- Brockman, Paul & Chung, Dennis Y., 2006. "Index inclusion and commonality in liquidity: Evidence from the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 291-305.
- Kempf, Alexander & Mayston, Daniel, 2006. "Liquidity commonality beyond best prices," CFR Working Papers 06-04, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Héléna Beltran-Lopez & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig, 2009.
"Commonalities in the order book,"
Financial Markets and Portfolio Management,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 209-242, September.
- BELTRAN, Helena & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim, 2005. "Commonalities in the order book," CORE Discussion Papers 2005011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Helena, BELTRAN & Pierre, GIOT & Joachim, GRAMMIG, 2005. "Commonalities in the order book," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005014, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Beltran-Lopez, Héléna & Giot, Pierre & Grammig, Joachim G., 2009. "Commonalities in the order book," CFR Working Papers 09-05, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Zheng, Xinwei, 2011. "The relationship between liquidity and returns on the Chinese stock market," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 259-266, June.
- Brockman, Paul & Chung, Dennis Y., 2008. "Commonality under market stress: Evidence from an order-driven market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 179-196.
- Pukthuanthong-Le, Kuntara & Visaltanachoti, Nuttawat, 2009. "Commonality in liquidity: Evidence from the Stock Exchange of Thailand," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 80-99, January.
- Anderson, Richard G. & Binner, Jane M. & Hagströmer, Björn & Nilsson, Birger, 2013.
"Does Commonality in Illiquidity Matter to Investors?,"
2013:24, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Richard G. Anderson & Jane M. Binner & Björn Hagströmer & Birger Nilsson, 2013. "Does commonality in illiquidity matter to investors?," Working Papers 2013-020, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Xinwei Zheng, 2011. "Asymmetric information and market collapse: Evidence from the Chinese Market," Financial Econometics Series 2011_09, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Zheng, Xinwei, 2010. "Market liquidity risk factor and financial market anomalies: Evidence from the Chinese stock market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 509-520, November.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Xinwei Zheng & Zhichao Zhang, 2011.
"Some hypothesis on commonality in liquidity: New evidence from the Chinese stock market,"
Financial Econometics Series
2011_11, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Zhichao Zhang & Xinwei Zheng, 2010. "Some Hypotheses on Commonality in Liquidity: New Evidence from the Chinese Stock Market," Economics Series 2010_10, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Frino, Alex & Lecce, Steven & Segara, Reuben, 2011. "The impact of trading halts on liquidity and price volatility: Evidence from the Australian Stock Exchange," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 298-307, June.
- Cao, Melanie & Wei, Jason, 2010. "Option market liquidity: Commonality and other characteristics," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 20-48, February.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew & Lee, Kuan Hui & van Dijk, Mathijs A., 2007. "Common Patterns in Commonality in Returns, Liquidity, and Turnover around the World," Working Paper Series 2007-16, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Chuang, Wen-I & Lee, Hsiu-Chuan, 2010. "The Impact of Short-Sales Constraints on Liquidity and the Liquidity-Return Relations," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 521-535, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.