The New Game in Town: Competitive Effects of IPOs
AbstractWe analyze the effect of initial public offerings (IPOs) on industry competitors and provide evidence that companies experience negative stock price reactions to completed IPOs in their industry and positive stock price reactions to their withdrawal. Following a successful IPO in their industry, they show significant deterioration in their operating performance. These results are consistent with the existence of IPO-related competitive advantages through the loosening of financial constraints, financial intermediary certification, and the presence of knowledge capital. These aspects of competitiveness are significant in explaining the cross-section of underperformance as well as survival probabilities for competing firms. Copyright (c) 2010 the American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 65 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas J. Chemmanur & Jie He, 2012.
"IPO Waves, Product Market Competition, and the Going Public Decision: Theory and Evidence,"
12-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J. & He, Jie, 2011. "IPO waves, product market competition, and the going public decision: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 382-412, August.
- Astudillo, Alfonso & Braun, Matías & Castañeda, Pablo, 2011.
"The going public decision and the structure of equity markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1451-1470.
- Astudillo, Alfonso & Braun, Matias & Castaneda, Pablo, 2011. "The Going Public Decision and the Structure of Equity Markets," MPRA Paper 38640, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chod, Jiri & Lyandres, Evgeny, 2011. "Strategic IPOs and product market competition," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 45-67, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.