The Long-Lasting Momentum in Weekly Returns
AbstractReversal is the current stylized fact of weekly returns. However, we find that an opposing and long-lasting continuation in returns follows the well-documented brief reversal. These subsequent momentum profits are strong enough to offset the initial reversal and to produce a significant momentum effect over the full year following portfolio formation. Thus, ex post, extreme weekly returns are not too extreme. Our findings extend to weekly price movements with and without public news. In addition, there is no relation between news uncertainty and the momentum in 1-week returns. Copyright 2008 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 63 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Lucio Sarno & Maik Schmeling & Andreas Schrimpf, 2012.
"Currency Momentum Strategies,"
Working Paper Series, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis
09_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Lucio Sarno & Maik Schmeling & Andreas Schrimpf, 2011. "Currency Momentum Strategies," BIS Working Papers 366, Bank for International Settlements.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Sarno, Lucio & Schmeling, Maik & Schrimpf, Andreas, 2012. "Currency Momentum Strategies," CEPR Discussion Papers 8747, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Selma Chaker, 2013. "Volatility and Liquidity Costs," Working Papers 13-29, Bank of Canada.
- de Groot, Wilma & Huij, Joop & Zhou, Weili, 2012. "Another look at trading costs and short-term reversal profits," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 371-382.
- PÃ¤tÃ¤ri, Eero & Leivo, Timo & Honkapuro, Samuli, 2012. "Enhancement of equity portfolio performance using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 220(3), pages 786-797.
- Friesen, Geoffrey C. & Weller, Paul A. & Dunham, Lee M., 2009. "Price trends and patterns in technical analysis: A theoretical and empirical examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1089-1100, June.
- Amini, Shima & Gebka, Bartosz & Hudson, Robert & Keasey, Kevin, 2013. "A review of the international literature on the short term predictability of stock prices conditional on large prior price changes: Microstructure, behavioral and risk related explanations," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 1-17.
- Fernando F. Ferreira & A. Christian Silva & Ju-Yi Yen, 2014. "Information ratio analysis of momentum strategies," Papers 1402.3030, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2014.
- Raza, Ahmad & Marshall, Ben R. & Visaltanachoti, Nuttawat, 2014. "Is there momentum or reversal in weekly currency returns?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 38-60.
- Pan, Li & Tang, Ya & Xu, Jianguo, 2013. "Weekly momentum by return interval ranking," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1191-1208.
- Alwathainani, Abdulaziz M., 2012. "Consistent winners and losers," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 210-220.
- Diego Amaya & Peter Christoffersen & Kris Jacobs & Aurelio Vasquez, 2013. "Does Realized Skewness Predict the Cross-Section of Equity Returns?," CREATES Research Papers 2013-41, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jacob Boudoukh & Ronen Feldman & Shimon Kogan & Matthew Richardson, 2013. "Which News Moves Stock Prices? A Textual Analysis," NBER Working Papers 18725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:eme:mfipps:v:36:y:2010:i:3:p:364-379 is not listed on IDEAS
- Timo H. Leivo, 2012. "Combining value and momentum indicators in varying stock market conditions: The Finnish evidence," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(4), pages 400-447.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Keloharju, Matti & Linnainmaa, Juhani T., 2012. "IQ, trading behavior, and performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 339-362.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.