Secondary Trading Costs in the Municipal Bond Market
AbstractUsing new econometric methods, we separately estimate average transaction costs for over 167,000 bonds from a 1-year sample of all U.S. municipal bond trades. Municipal bond transaction costs decrease with trade size and do not depend significantly on trade frequency. Also, municipal bond trades are substantially more expensive than similar-sized equity trades. We attribute these results to the lack of bond market price transparency. Additional cross-sectional analyses show that bond trading costs increase with credit risk, instrument complexity, time to maturity, and time since issuance. Investors, and perhaps ultimately issuers, might benefit if issuers issued simpler bonds. Copyright 2006 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 61 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (06)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Idier, J., 2010.
"Central bank liquidity and market liquidity: the role of collateral provision on the French government debt securities market,"
278, Banque de France.
- Idier, Julien & Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi, 2010. "Central bank liquidity and market liquidity: the role of collateral provision on the French government debt securities market," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11156, Paris Dauphine University.
- Allen, Linda & Gottesman, Aron A. & Peng, Lin, 2012. "The impact of joint participation on liquidity in equity and syndicated bank loan markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 50-78.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2009.
"Liquidity in Asset Markets With Search Frictions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(2), pages 403-426, 03.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Ricardo Lagos, 2008. "Liquidity in asset markets with search frictions," Working Paper 0804, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2008. "Liquidity in asset markets with search frictions," Staff Report 408, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ricardo Lagos & Guillaume Rocheteau, 2007. "Liquidity in asset markets with search frictions," Working Paper 0706, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Panayides, Marios & Venkataraman, Kumar, 2009. "Hidden liquidity: An analysis of order exposure strategies in electronic stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 361-383, December.
- Antonio Díaz, 2009. "Retail Investors and the Trading of Treasury Securities," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 45-63, August.
- Bruno Biais & Richard C. Green, .
"The Microstructure of the Bond Market in the 20th Century,"
GSIA Working Papers
2005-E57, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Biais, Bruno & Green, Richard, 2007. "The Microstructure of the Bond Market in the 20th Century," IDEI Working Papers 482, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Comerton-Forde, Carole & Tang, Kar Mei, 2009. "Anonymity, liquidity and fragmentation," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 337-367, August.
- Marc D. Joffe, 2012. "Rating Government Bonds: Can We Raise Our Grade?," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 9(3), pages 350-365, September.
- Wang, Junbo & Wu, Chunchi & Zhang, Frank X., 2008. "Liquidity, default, taxes, and yields on municipal bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1133-1149, June.
- Schultz, Paul, 2012. "The market for new issues of municipal bonds: The roles of transparency and limited access to retail investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(3), pages 492-512.
- Andrew Ang & Vineer Bhansali & Yuhang Xing, 2008.
"Taxes on Tax-Exempt Bonds,"
NBER Working Papers
14496, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Easley, David & Hendershott, Terrence & Ramadorai, Tarun, 2014. "Leveling the trading field," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 65-93.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.