Information and Control in Ventures and Alliances
AbstractThis paper develops a theory of control as a signal of congruence of objectives, and applies it to financial contracting between an investor and a privately informed entrepreneur. We show that formal investor control is (i) increasing in the information asymmetries ex ante, (ii) increasing in the uncertainty surrounding the venture ex post, (iii) decreasing in the entrepreneur's resources, and (iv) increasing in the entrepreneur's incentive conflict. In contrast, real investor control-that is, actual investor interference-is decreasing in information asymmetries. Control rights are further such that control shifts to the investor in bad states of nature. Copyright 2005 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 60 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fang, Yiwei & Francis , Bill & Hasan , Iftekhar & Wang, Haizhi, 2011.
"Product market relationships and cost of bank loans: evidence from strategic alliances,"
Research Discussion Papers
4/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Fang, Yiwei & Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wang, Haizhi, 2012. "Product market relationships and cost of bank loans: Evidence from strategic alliances," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 653-674.
- Marco Da Rin & Thomas F. Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2011.
"A survey of venture capital research,"
NBER Working Papers
17523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011. "A Survey of Venture Capital Research," Discussion Paper 2011-044, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011. "A Survey of Venture Capital Research," Discussion Paper 2011-111, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Danz, David & Hüber, Frank & Kübler, Dorothea & Mechtenberg, Lydia & Schmid, Julia, 2013.
"'I'll do it by myself as I knew it all along': On the failure of hindsight-biased principals to delegate optimally,"
Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Behavior
SP II 2013-203, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- David Danz & Frank Hüber & Dorothea Kübler & Lydia Mechtenberg & Julia Schmid, 2013. "‘I'll do it by myself as I knew it all along’: On the failure of hindsight-biased principals to delegate optimally," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-009, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Mathews, Richmond D., 2006. "Strategic alliances, equity stakes, and entry deterrence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 35-79, April.
- Koskinen, Yrjo & Rebello, Michael J. & Wang, Jun, 2006. "Private Information and Bargaining Power in Venture Capital Financing," SIFR Research Report Series 45, Institute for Financial Research, revised 08 Feb 2011.
- Christophe Godlewski, 2014. "What drives the dynamics of bank debt renegotiation in Europe? A survival analysis approach," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2014-01, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Josh Lerner & Ulrike Malmendier, 2010.
"Contractibility and the Design of Research Agreements,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 214-46, March.
- Josh Lerner & Ulrike Malmendier, 2005. "Contractibility and the Design of Research Agreements," NBER Working Papers 11292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christophe Godlewski, 2013. "Does renegotiation of financial contracts matter for shareholders? Empirical evidence from Europe," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2013-03, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Koskinen, Yrjö & Rebello, Michael & Wang, Jun, 2006. "Venture Capital Financing: The Role of Bargaining Power and the Evolution of Informational Asymmetry," CEPR Discussion Papers 5806, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.