Asset Sales, Investment Opportunities, and the Use of Proceeds
AbstractThis study examines the allocation of cash proceeds following 400 subsidiary sales between 1990 and 1998. Retention probabilities are increasing in the divesting firm's contemporaneous growth opportunities and expected investment. Retaining firms, however, also systematically overinvest relative to an industry benchmark. Shareholder returns to retention decisions are positively correlated with growth opportunities and benchmarked investment, but negatively correlated with benchmarked investment for firms with poor growth opportunities. Shareholder returns to debt distributions are increasing in industry-benchmarked leverage. Overall, the results of this study cohere with the hypothesized trade-off between the investment efficiencies associated with retained proceeds and the agency costs of managerial discretion and debt. Copyright 2005 by The American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 60 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arnold, Marc & Hackbarth, Dirk & Puhan, Tatjana-Xenia, 2013. "Financing Asset Sales and Business Cycles," Working Papers on Finance 1320, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Ding, Sai & Guariglia, Alessandra & Knight, John, 2010.
"Does China overinvest? Evidence from a panel of Chinese firms,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2010-110, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Sai Ding & Alessandra Guariglia & John Knight, . "Does China overinvest? Evidence from a panel of Chinese firms," Discussion Papers 12/04, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- John Knight & Sai Ding and Alessandra Guariglia, 2010. "Does China overinvest? Evidence from a panel of Chinese firms," Economics Series Working Papers 520, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Sai Ding & Alessandra Guariglia & John Knight, 2010. "Does China overinvest? Evidence from a panel of Chinese firms," Working Papers 2010_05, Durham University Business School.
- Sai Ding & Alessandra Guariglia & John Knight, 2010. "Does China overinvest? Evidence from a panel of Chinese firms," Working Papers 2010_32, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Officer, Micah S., 2007. "The price of corporate liquidity: Acquisition discounts for unlisted targets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 571-598, March.
- Sibilkov, Valeriy & Straska, Miroslava & Waller, H. Gregory, 2013. "The value implications of restrictions on asset sales," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 98-108.
- Mouzas, Stefanos, 2006. "Efficiency versus effectiveness in business networks," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1124-1132, October.
- Alain Praet, 2011. "Voluntary firm restructuring: why do firms sell or liquidate their subsidiaries?," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 449-476, November.
- Hirth, Stefan & Uhrig-Homburg, Marliese, 2010.
"Investment timing, liquidity, and agency costs of debt,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 243-258, April.
- Hirth, Stefan & Uhrig-Homburg, Marliese, 2009. "Investment Timing, Liquidity, and Agency Costs of Debt," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2009-04, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Oswald, Dennis & Young, Steven, 2008. "Share reacquisitions, surplus cash, and agency problems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 795-806, May.
- Ranadeb Chaudhuri & Hoontaek Seo, 2010. "Classified Boards and Managerial Entrenchment: Evidence from Seasoned Equity Offerings," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 9(1), pages 29-43, April.
- Praet, Alain, 2013. "Family firms and the divestment decision: An agency perspective," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 34-41.
- Jonathan Wiley & Brandon Cline & Xudong Fu & Tian Tang, 2012. "Valuation Effects for Asset Sales," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 103-120, June.
- USHIJIMA Tatsuo & Ulrike SCHAEDE, 2013.
"The Market for Corporate Subsidiaries in Japan: An empirical study of trades among listed firms,"
13012, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Ushijima, Tatsuo & Schaede, Ulrike, 2014. "The market for corporate subsidiaries in Japan: An empirical study of trades among listed firms," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 36-52.
- Jacques Sarremejeanne, 2011. "Les déterminants financiers des cessions-bail," Post-Print hal-00650571, HAL.
- Shin, G. Hwan, 2008. "The profitability of asset sales as an explanation of asset divestitures," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 555-571, November.
- Warusawitharana, Missaka, 2008. "Corporate asset purchases and sales: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 471-497, February.
- Olga Kuzmina, 2013. "Operating Flexibility and Capital Structure: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Working Papers w0197, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Berg, Aron & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2012. "International Mergers with Financially Constrained Owners," Working Paper Series 927, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- D'Mello, Ranjan & Miranda, Mercedes, 2010. "Long-term debt and overinvestment agency problem," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 324-335, February.
- Jackson, Scott B. & Rodgers, Theodore C. & Tuttle, Brad, 2010. "The effect of depreciation method choice on asset selling prices," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 757-774, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.