Shareholder Taxes in Acquisition Premiums: The Effect of Capital Gains Taxation
AbstractWe exploit cross-temporal differences in capital gains tax rates to test whether shareholder-level capital gains taxes are associated with higher acquisition premiums for taxable acquisitions. We model acquisition premiums as a function of proxies for the capital gains taxes of target shareholders, taxability of the acquisition, and tax status of the price-setting shareholder as represented by the level of target institutional ownership. Consistent with a lock-in effect for acquisition premiums, results suggest a unique positive association between shareholder capital gains taxes for "individual" investors and acquisition premiums for taxable acquisitions, which is mitigated by target institutional ownership. Copyright 2003 by the American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 58 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mihir A. Desai & William M. Gentry, 2004.
"The Character and Determinants of Corporate Capital Gains,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 18, pages 1-36
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir A. Desai & William M. Gentry, 2003. "The Character and Determinants of Corporate Capital Gains," Department of Economics Working Papers 2003-04, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Mihir Desai & William M. Gentry, 2003. "The Character and Determinants of Corporate Capital Gains," NBER Working Papers 10153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard J. Rendleman, Jr. & Douglas A. Shackelford, 2003. "Diversification and the Taxation of Capital Gains and Losses," NBER Working Papers 9674, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir A. Desai & Dhammika Dharmapala, 2005.
"Corporate Tax Avoidance and Firm Value,"
NBER Working Papers
11241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chongyang Chen & Zhonglan Dai & Douglas Shackelford & Harold Zhang, 2011.
"Does Financial Constraint Affect Shareholder Taxes and the Cost of Equity Capital?,"
NBER Working Papers
17169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chongyang Chen & Zhonglan Dai & Douglas A. Shackelford & Harold H. Zhang, 2012. "Does Financial Constraint Affect Shareholder Taxes and the Cost of Equity Capital?," Working Papers 1202, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Hanlon, Michelle & Heitzman, Shane, 2010. "A review of tax research," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 127-178, December.
- Jeff Madura & Thanh Ngo, 2012. "Determinants of the medium of payment used to acquire privately-held targets," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 424-442, April.
- Claudio A. Agostini & Mariel C. Siravegna, 2010.
"Efectos de la Exención Tributaria a las Ganancias de Capital en el Precio de las Acciones en Chile,"
Serie de Documentos de Trabajo
07, Superintendencia de Valores y Seguros.
- Claudio Agostini & Mariel C. Siravegna, 2009. "Efectos de la Exención Tributaria a las Ganancias de Capital en el Precio de las Acciones en Chile," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv233, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Sureth, Caren & Voß, Armin, 2005. "Investitionsbereitschaft und zeitliche Indifferenz bei Realinvestitionen unter Unsicherheit und Steuern," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 2, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Jin, Li & Kothari, S.P., 2008. "Effect of personal taxes on managers' decisions to sell their stock," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 23-46, September.
- Zhonglan Dai & Edward Maydew & Douglas A. Shackelford & Harold H. Zhang, 2006.
"Capital Gains Taxes and Asset Prices: Capitalization or Lock-In?,"
NBER Working Papers
12342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhonglan Dai & Edward Maydew & Douglas A. Shackelford & Harold H. Zhang, 2008. "Capital Gains Taxes and Asset Prices: Capitalization or Lock-in?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(2), pages 709-742, 04.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.