Divestitures and Divisional Investment Policies
AbstractWe study a sample of diversified firms that alter their organizational structure by divesting a business segment. These firms experience a reduction in the diversification discount after the divestiture. We show that the efficiency of segment investment increases substantially following the divestiture and that this improvement is associated with a decrease in the diversification discount. Our results support the corporate focus and financing hypotheses for corporate divestitures. We demonstrate that inefficient investment is partly responsible for the diversification discount and show that asset sales lead to an improvement in the efficiency of investment for remaining divisions. Copyright 2003 by the American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 58 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Byungmo Kim & Kooyul Jung & In Kim, 2005. "Internal Funds Allocation and the Ownership Structure: Evidence from Korean Business Groups," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 33-53, August.
- Ang, James & Mauck, Nathan, 2011. "Fire sale acquisitions: Myth vs. reality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 532-543, March.
- Denis, David J., 2011. "Financial flexibility and corporate liquidity," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 667-674, June.
- James Chong & Alexandra Krystalogianni & Simon Stevenson, . "Dynamic Correlations across REIT Sub-Sectors," Real Estate & Planning Working Papers rep-wp2011-07, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Imen Khanchel El Mehdi, 2014. "Accrual and cash flow anomalies in diversified firms: Impact of segment portfolio management," Working Papers 2014-076, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Jonathan Wiley & Brandon Cline & Xudong Fu & Tian Tang, 2012. "Valuation Effects for Asset Sales," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 103-120, June.
- Stefan Erdorf & Thomas Hartmann-Wendels & Nicolas Heinrichs & Michael Matz, 2012. "Corporate Diversification and Firm Value: A Survey of Recent Literature," Cologne Graduate School Working Paper Series 03-01, Cologne Graduate School in Management, Economics and Social Sciences.
- Zhou, Yue Maggie & Li, Xiaoyang & Svejnar, Jan, 2011. "Subsidiary divestiture and acquisition in a financial crisis: Operational focus, financial constraints, and ownership," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 272-287, April.
- Hund, John & Monk, Donald & Tice, Sheri, 2010. "Uncertainty about average profitability and the diversification discount," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Jiraporn, Pornsit & Kim, Young Sang & Davidson III, Wallace N., 2008. "Multiple directorships and corporate diversification," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 418-435, June.
- Alderson, Michael J. & Betker, Brian L., 2009. "Were internal capital markets affected by the 'perfect' pension storm?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 257-271, April.
- Doukas, John A. & Kan, Ozgur B., 2008. "Investment decisions and internal capital markets: Evidence from acquisitions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1484-1498, August.
- Harris, Oneil & Madura, Jeff, 2011. "Why are proposed spinoffs withdrawn?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 69-81, February.
- Jackson, Scott B. & Rodgers, Theodore C. & Tuttle, Brad, 2010. "The effect of depreciation method choice on asset selling prices," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 757-774, November.
- Ivan Montiel & Bryan Husted, 2009. "The Adoption of Voluntary Environmental Management Programs in Mexico: First Movers as Institutional Entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(2), pages 349-363, September.
- Alderson, Michael J. & Betker, Brian L., 2006. "The specification and power of tests to detect abnormal changes in corporate investment," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 738-760, September.
- Ahn, Seoungpil & Denis, David J. & Denis, Diane K., 2006. "Leverage and investment in diversified firms," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 317-337, February.
- Ahn, Seoungpil & Denis, David J., 2004. "Internal capital markets and investment policy: evidence from corporate spinoffs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 489-516, March.
- Stefan Erdorf & Thomas Hartmann-Wendels & Nicolas Heinrichs & Michael Matz, 2013. "Corporate diversification and firm value: a survey of recent literature," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 187-215, June.
- Li, Xiaoyang, 2013. "Productivity, restructuring, and the gains from takeovers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 250-271.
- Claude Francoeur & Alain Niyubahwe, 2009. "Sell-offs, internal capital markets, and long run performance: Canadian evidence," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(4), pages 376-390, September.
- Harris, Oneil & Madura, Jeff, 2010. "Cause and effects of poison pill adoptions by spinoff units," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 307-330, July.
- Barbara Rovetta, 2006. "Investment Policies and Excess Returns in Corporate Spin-offs: Evidence from the US Market," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 287-307, September.
- James Chong & Alexandra Krystalogianni & Simon Stevenson, 2012. "Dynamic correlations between REIT sub-sectors and the implications for diversification," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(13), pages 1089-1109, July.
- Fang, Yiwei & Francis , Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2012. "More than connectedness – Heterogeneity of CEO social network and firm value," Research Discussion Papers 26/2012, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.