Gaussian Estimation of Single-Factor Continuous Time Models of the Term Structure of Interest Rates
AbstractThis article presents the first application in finance of recently developed methods for the Gaussian estimation of continuous time dynamic models. A range of one factor continuous time models of the short-term interest rate are estimated using a discrete time model and compared to a recent discrete approximation used by K. C. Chan, et al. (1992). Whereas the volatility of short-term rates is highly sensitive to the level of rates in the United States, it is not in the United Kingdom. Copyright 1997 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 52 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- K. Ben Nowman & Ghulam Sorwar, 2003. "Implied option prices from the continuous time CKLS interest rate model: an application to the UK," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 191-197.
- Mc Manus, Des & Watt, David, 1999. "Estimating One-Factor Models of Short-Term Interest Rates," Working Papers 99-18, Bank of Canada.
- K. Ben Nowman & Burak Saltoglu, 2003. "An empirical comparison of interest rates using an interest rate model and nonparametric methods," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(10), pages 643-645.
- Nikolaos Panigirtzoglou & James Proudman & John Spicer, 2000. "Persistence and volatility in short-term interest rates," Bank of England working papers 116, Bank of England.
- Ghulam Sorwar, 2005. "Implied derivative security prices based two-factor interest model: a UK application," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(10), pages 739-744.
- José Luis Fernández-Serrano & M. Dolores Robles Fernández, 2004. "Política monetaria y cambios de régimen en los tipos de interés del mercado interbancario español," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 28(2), pages 349-376, May.
- David Jamieson Bolder, 2001. "Affine Term-Structure Models: Theory and Implementation," Working Papers 01-15, Bank of Canada.
- Martin Vojtek, 2004.
"Calibration of Interest Rate Models - Transition Market Case,"
- Martin Vojtek, 2004. "Calibration of Interest Rate Models - Transition Market Case," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp237, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Terence D.Agbeyegbe & Elena Goldman, 2005. "Estimation of threshold time series models using efficient jump MCMC," Hunter College Department of Economics Working Papers 406, Hunter College: Department of Economics, revised 2005.
- Driessen, Joost & Klaassen, Pieter & Melenberg, Bertrand, 2003.
"The Performance of Multi-Factor Term Structure Models for Pricing and Hedging Caps and Swaptions,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 635-672, September.
- Driessen, J.J.A.G. & Klaassen, P. & Melenberg, B., 2000. "The Performance of Multi-Factor Term Structure Models for Pricing and Hedging Caps and Swaptions," Discussion Paper 2000-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ingrid Lo, 2005. "An Evaluation of MLE in a Model of the Nonlinear Continuous-Time Short-Term Interest Rate," Working Papers 05-45, Bank of Canada.
- Jun Yu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2001. "Gaussian Estimation of Continuous Time Models of the Short Term Interest Rate," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1309, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Balázs Cserna, 2008. "Application of the Generalized Method of Moments for Estimating Continuous-Time Models of U.S. Short-Term Interest Rates," Working Papers 0462, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2008.
- Ram Bhar & Carl Chiarella & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 2001. "Estimation in Models of the Instantaneous Short Term Interest Rate By Use of a Dynamic Bayesian Algorithm," Research Paper Series 68, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Diether Beuermann & Antonios Antoniou & Alejandro Bernales, 2005. "The Dynamics of the Short-Term Interest Rate in the UK," Finance 0512029, EconWPA.
- José Luis Fernández Serrano & Dolores Robles Fernández, 2002. "Política Monetaria y Cambios de Régimen en los tipos de Interés del Mercado Interbancario," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0209, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Michael W. Brandt & Pedro Santa-Clara, 2001. "Simulated Likelihood Estimation of Diffusions with an Application to Exchange Rate Dynamics in Incomplete Markets," NBER Technical Working Papers 0274, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Driffill & Turalay Kenc & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2008.
"On Model Selection and Markov-Switching: An Empirical Examination of Term Structure Models with Regime Shifts,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2008-04, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Driffill, John & Kenc, Turalay & Sola, Martin & Spagnolo, Fabio, 2004. "On Model Selection and Markov Switching: A Empirical Examination of Term Structure Models with Regime Shifts," CEPR Discussion Papers 4165, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ram Bhar & Carl Chiarella & Hing Hung & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 2004. "The Volatility of the Instantaneous Spot Interest Rate Implied by Arbitrage Pricing - A Dynamic Bayesian Approach," Finance 0409002, EconWPA.
- Gonzalo Cortazar & Eduardo S. Schwartz & Lorenzo F. Naranjo, 2007. "Term-structure estimation in markets with infrequent trading," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 353-369.
- Simon Babbs & K. Nowman, 1998. "Econometric Analysis of a Continuous Time Multi-Factor Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Model: International Evidence," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 159-183, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.