A Theory of Corporate Scope and Financial Structure
AbstractThe authors simultaneously address three basic issues regarding the corporation: the optimal scope of operation, the optimal financial structure, and the relationship between these two. The starting point is that financial structure serves as a bonding device on the managers' self-interest behavior. The effectiveness of this bonding depends on the distribution of the firm's future cash flow, which in turn depends on the firm's scope. The authors' theory also links the firm's investment decisions to its operation scope. As empirical implications, the theory reconciles the failure of the 1960s U.S. conglomerates with the success of the Japanese keiretsu. Copyright 1996 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 51 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 2001.
"Agency, Information and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
8342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob A. Bikker, 2002.
"Cross-sector diversification in financial conglomerates: simulations with a fair-value assets and liabilities model,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 55(223), pages 363-389.
- Jacob A. Bikker, 2002. "Cross-sector diversification in financial conglomerates: simulations with a fair-value assets and liabilities model," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 55(223), pages 363-389.
- Agarwal, Sumit & Chiu, I-Ming & Souphom, Victor & Yamashiro, Guy M., 2011.
"The efficiency of internal capital markets: Evidence from the Annual Capital Expenditure Survey,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 162-172, May.
- Sumit Agarwal & Victor Souphom & Guy Yamashiro, 2008. "The Efficiency of Internal Capital Markets: Evidence from the Annual Capital Expenditure Survey," Working Papers 08-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Prezas, Alexandros P., 2009. "Internal capital markets, empire building, and capital structure," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 173-188.
- Akbel, Basak & Schnitzer, Monika, 2011.
"Creditor rights and debt allocation within multinationals,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1367-1379, June.
- Akbel, Basak & Schnitzer, Monika, 2010. "Creditor Rights and Debt Allocation within Multinationals," CEPR Discussion Papers 7958, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Akbel, Basak & Schnitzer, Monika, 2009. "Creditor Rights and Debt Allocation within Multinationals," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 304, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Aoun, Dany & Heshmati, Almas, 2006. "The Causal Relationship between Capital Structure and Cost of Capital: Evidence from ICT Companies Listed at NASDAQ," Ratio Working Papers 87, The Ratio Institute.
- Kaufmann, Patrick J. & Gordon, Richard M. & Owers, James E., 2000. "Alternative Profitability Measures and Marketing Channel Structure: The Franchise Decision," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 217-224, November.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 1998. "A Re-Examination of the Conglomerate Merger Wave in the 1960s: An Internal Capital Markets View," NBER Working Papers 6539, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramkishen S. Rejan, 1998. "The Currency And Financial Crisis In Southeast Asia - A Case Of `Sudden Deathã¢Â‚¬Â„¢ Or `Death Foretoldã¢Â‚¬Â„¢," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22381, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jean-Étienne Palard, 2007. "Recentrage stratégique et politique de financement:le cas des firmes cotées en Europe (1987-2003)," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 10(3), pages 111-137, September.
- Chou, Ting-Kai & Cheng, Jia-Chi, 2012. "Credit ratings and excess value of diversification," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 266-281.
- Matsusaka, John G. & Nanda, Vikram, 2002. "Internal Capital Markets and Corporate Refocusing," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 176-211, April.
- Cestone, Giacinta & Fumagalli, Chiara, 2001. "Internal Capital Markets, Cross-Subsidization and Product Market Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 2935, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giacinta Cestone & Chiara Fumagalli, 2003. "Winner-Picking or Cross-Subsidization? The Strategic Impact of Resource Flexibility in Business Groups," CSEF Working Papers 93, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Singh, Manohar & Davidson, Wallace III & Suchard, Jo-Ann, 2003. "Corporate diversification strategies and capital structure," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 147-167.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.