How Much Can Marketability Affect Security Values?
AbstractHow marketability affects security prices is one of the most important issues in finance. The authors derive a simple analytical upper bound on the value of marketability using option-pricing theory. They show that discounts for lack of marketability can potentially be large even when the illiquidity period is very short. This analysis also provides a benchmark for assessing the potential costs of exchange rules and regulatory requirements restricting the ability of investors to trade when desired. Furthermore, these results provide new insights into the relation between discounts for lack of marketability and the length of the marketability restriction. Copyright 1995 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 50 (1995)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gann, Philipp, 2009. "Liquidität, Risikoeinstellung des Kapitalmarktes und Konjunkturerwartung als Preisdeterminanten von Collateralized Debt Obligations (CDOs) - Eine simulationsgestützte Analyse," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 10582, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Zulauf, Carl R. & Zhou, Haijiang & Roberts, Matthew C., 2005. "Updating the Estimation of the Supply of Storage Model," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19122, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zheng, Harry, 2006. "Interaction of credit and liquidity risks: Modelling and valuation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 391-407, February.
- Freed, Marc S & McMillan, Ben, 2011. "Investible benchmarks & hedge fund liquidity," MPRA Paper 32226, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthias Kahl & Jun Liu & Francis A. Longstaff, 2002.
"Paper millionaires: How valuable is stock to a stockholder who is restricted from selling it?,"
NBER Working Papers
8969, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kahl, Matthias & Liu, Jun & Longstaff, Francis A., 2003. "Paper millionaires: how valuable is stock to a stockholder who is restricted from selling it?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 385-410, March.
- Huang, Zhangkai & Xu, Xingzhong, 2009. "Marketability, control, and the pricing of block shares," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Juerg Syz & Paolo Vanini, 2011. "Arbitrage Free Price Bounds for Property Derivatives," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 281-298, October.
- Robert DeYoung & William C. Hunter & Gregory F. Udell, 2003.
"The past, present, and probable future for community banks,"
Working Paper Series
WP-03-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Robert DeYoung & William Hunter & Gregory Udell, 2004. "The Past, Present, and Probable Future for Community Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 85-133, April.
- Kempf, Alexander & Korn, Olaf & Uhrig-Homburg, Marliese, 2012. "The term structure of illiquidity premia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1381-1391.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2004. "Flight to Quality, Flight to Liquidity, and the Pricing of Risk," NBER Working Papers 10327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aragon, George O., 2007. "Share restrictions and asset pricing: Evidence from the hedge fund industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 33-58, January.
- Xiao-dong Xu & Xia Wang & Yi Jin, 2010. "Releasing of restricted shares, firm quality, and market trading activity," China Finance Review International, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 78-97, December.
- Barbora Rýdlová, 2006. "Lack of Marketability Discount – Analysis of Empirical Studies," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2006(1), pages 118-134.
- Deuskar, Prachi & Gupta, Anurag & Subrahmanyam, Marti G., 2011. "Liquidity effect in OTC options markets: Premium or discount?," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 127-160, February.
- Longstaff, Francis A., 2000. "The term structure of very short-term rates: New evidence for the expectations hypothesis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 397-415, December.
- Lautier, Delphine, 2009. "Convenience Yield and Commodity Markets," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/2274, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Lautier, Delphine, 2009. "Convenience Yield and Commodity Markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2274, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kaserer, Christoph & Wagner, Niklas & Achleitner, Ann-Kristin, 2003. "Managing investment risks of institutional private equity investors: The challenge of illiquidity," CEFS Working Paper Series 2003-01, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.