Beatrice: A Study in the Creation and Destruction of Value
AbstractThis paper chronicles the history of the Beatrice company from its founding in 1891 as a small creamery, through its growth by acquisition into a diversified consumer and industrial products firm, and its subsequent leveraged buyout and sell-off. The paper analyzes the value consequences and firm's acquisition and divestiture policies, its organizational strategy, and its governance. The analysis sheds light on a number of issues in organization theory, strategy, and corporate finance, including the sources of value in diversifying acquisitions, the cost of overcentralization and weak corporate governance, and the mechanisms of value creation in the market for corporate control. Copyright 1992 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 47 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steven Davis & John Haltiwanger & Ron Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2008.
"Private Equity and Employment,"
08-07r, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau, revised Oct 2011.
- Gottschalg, Oliver & Berg, Achim, 2005. "Understanding value generation in buyouts," Les Cahiers de Recherche 824, HEC Paris.
- Laurent Batsch, 2003.
"Le recentrage:une revue des approches financières,"
Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie,
revues.org, vol. 6(2), pages 43-65, June.
- Batsch, Laurent, 2003. "Le recentrage : une revue des approches financières," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/2773, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Randall Morck & Daniel Wolfenzon & Bernard Yeung, 2004.
"Corporate Governance, Economic Entrenchment and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
10692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard Yeung & Randall Morck & Daniel Wolfenzon, 2004. "Corporate Governance, Economic Entrenchment and Growth," Working Papers 04-21, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Sandeep Baliga & Ben Polak, 1998. "Banks Versus Bonds: the Emergence and Persistence of Two Financial Systems," Discussion Papers 1221, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Alvaro Cuervo-Cazurra, 2006. "Business groups and their types," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 419-437, December.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2009.
"Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 121-46, Winter.
- Trillas, Francesc, 2001. "The takeover of Enersis: the control of privatized utilities," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 25-45, March.
- Comment, Robert & Jarrell, Gregg A., 1995. "Corporate focus and stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 67-87, January.
- Gottschalg, Oliver, 2008. "Business and politics: how political beliefs influence volume and performance of leveraged buyouts," Les Cahiers de Recherche 893, HEC Paris.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Peter L. Rousseau, 2001. "Mergers and Technological Change: 1885-1998," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0116, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Reinhard H. Schmidt & Jens Maßmann, 1999. "Drei Mißverständnisse zum Thema "Shareholder Value"," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 31, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Gérard Charreaux, 2000. "L'approche économico-financière de l'investissement: une vision critique," Working Papers FARGO 1000501, Université de Bourgogne - Leg (laboratoire d'économie et de gestion)/Fargo (Research center in Finance,organizational ARchitecture and GOvernance).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.