The Mode of Acquisition in Takeovers: Taxes and Asymmetric Information
AbstractThe authors develop a model in which the mode of acquisition conveys information concerning the value of the bidder. The model incorporates the possibility that offers containing both cash and stock can be made in a setting consistent with the U.S. tax code. The authors demonstrate that bidders with unfavorable private information about their equity value choose offers containing some stock to avoid the capital gains tax on sequences of cash offers. The model yields a number of unique predictions about the construction of acquisition offers. The authors present evidence consistent with the model. Copyright 1991 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 46 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kenneth Daniels & Richard A. Phillips, 2007. "The Valuation Impact of Financial Advisors: An Empirical Analysis of REIT Mergers and Acquisitions," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(1), pages 57-64.
- Chemla, Gilles, 2004. "Takeovers and the dynamics of information flows," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6359, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bhagat, Sanjai & Dong, Ming & Hirshleifer, David & Noah, Robert, 2005.
"Do tender offers create value? New methods and evidence,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 3-60, April.
- Bhagat, Sanjai & Dong, Ming & Hirsheifer, David & Noah, Noah, 2004. "Do Tender Offers Create Value? New Methods and Evidence," Working Paper Series 2004-4, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Sanjai Bhagat & Ming Dong & David A. Hirshleifer & Robert B. Noah, 2004. "Do Tender Offers Create Value? New Methods and Evidence," Finance 0412011, EconWPA.
- Díaz Díaz, Belén & Sanfilippo Azofra, Sergio & López Gutiérrez, Carlos, 2013. "Synergies or overpayment in European corporate M&A," MPRA Paper 51070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Finnerty, John D. & Jiao, Jie & Yan, An, 2012. "Convertible securities in merger transactions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 275-289.
- Hiroshi Osano, 2001. "Stock Options and Employees' Firm-Specific Human Capital under the Threat of Divesture and Aquisition," Working Papers 01-10, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Sheng-Syan & Chou, Robin K. & Lee, Yun-Chi, 2011. "Bidders' strategic timing of acquisition announcements and the effects of payment method on target returns and competing bids," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2231-2244, September.
- Bargeron, Leonce & Kulchania, Manoj & Thomas, Shawn, 2011. "Accelerated share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 69-89, July.
- Nico Rottke & Dirk Schiereck & Stephan Pauser, 2011. "M&A in the Construction Industry -Wealth Effects of Diversification into Real Estate Life Cycle Related Services," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 283-310.
- Ninon Kohers, 2004. "Acquisitions of private targets: the unique shareholder wealth implications," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(16), pages 1151-1165.
- Alexander S. Gorbenko & Andrey Malenko, 2011. "Competition among Sellers in Securities Auctions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1806-41, August.
- Ming Dong & David Hirshleifer & Scott Richardson & Siew Hong Teoh, 2006.
"Does Investor Misvaluation Drive the Takeover Market?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 725-762, 04.
- MING DONG & David Hirshleifer & SCOTT RICHARSON & Siew Hong Teoh, 2004. "Does Investor Misvaluation Drive the Takeover Market?," Finance 0412002, EconWPA.
- St-Pierre, Josee & Gagnon, Jean-Marie & Saint-Pierre, Jacques, 1996. "Concentration of voting rights and board resistance to takeover bids," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 45-73, December.
- Chemla, Gilles, 2004. "Takeovers and the dynamics of information flows," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 575-590, April.
- Kohers, Ninon & Kohers, Gerald & Kohers, Theodor, 2007. "Glamour, value, and the form of takeover," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 74-87.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J. & Paeglis, Imants & Simonyan, Karen, 2009. "The medium of exchange in acquisitions: Does the private information of both acquirer and target matter?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 523-542, December.
- Rama Prasad Kanungo, 2004. "Security Analysts and Market Reaction:Caveat for Monitoring," Finance 0411039, EconWPA.
- Danny Yeung, 2012. "The Impact of Institutional Ownership: A Study of the Australian Equity Market," PhD Thesis, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney, number 11, March.
- McCabe, George M. & Yook, Ken C., 1997. "Jensen, Myers-Majluf, free cash flow and the returns to bidders," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 697-707.
- Ghosh, Aloke, 2001. "Does operating performance really improve following corporate acquisitions?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 151-178, June.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, 2009. "Bidding strategies and takeover premiums: A review," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 149-178, February.
- Linda Allen & Julapa Jagtiani & Stavros Peristiani & Anthony Saunders, 2002. "The role of bank advisors in mergers and acquisitions," Staff Reports 143, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.