Default Risk and the Duration of Zero Coupon Bonds
AbstractThis paper applies a contingent claims approach to examine the duration of a zero coupon bond subject to default risk. One replicating portfolio for a default-prone zero coupon bond contains a long position in the default-free asset plus a short position in a put option on the underlying assets. The duration of the bond is shown to be a weighted combination of the duration of the default-free bond and the put option. The duration is less than maturity and is not an immunizing duration. The technique is then extended to subordinated debt. Copyright 1990 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 45 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Davies, Andrew, 2008. "Credit spread determinants: An 85 year perspective," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 180-197, May.
- Syed Muhammad Noaman Ahmed Shah & Mazen Kebewar, 2013.
"US Corporate Bond Yield Spread : A default risk debate,"
- SHAH, Syed Muhammad Noaman Ahmed & KEBEWAR, mazen, 2013. "US Corporate Bond Yield Spread: A default risk debate," MPRA Paper 44887, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Syed Muhammad Noaman Ahmed Shah & Mazen Kebewar, 2013. "US Corporate Bond Yield Spread: A default risk debate," Working Papers halshs-00798660, HAL.
- Shah, Syed Noaman & Kebewar, Mazen, 2013. "US Corporate Bond Yield Spread. A default risk debate," EconStor Preprints 73690, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Dilip Madan & Haluk Unal, 1996. "Pricing the Risks of Default," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-16, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Lesseig, Vance P. & Stock, Duane, 2000. "Impact of Correlation of Asset Value and Interest Rates upon Duration and Convexity of Risky Debt," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 289-301, September.
- Gady Jacoby & Chuan Liao & Jonathan A. Batten, 2007. "A Pure Test for the Elasticity of Yield Spreads," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp195, IIIS.
- Klein, Peter, 1996. "Pricing Black-Scholes options with correlated credit risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 1211-1229, August.
- Fooladi, Iraj J. & Roberts, Gordon S. & Skinner, Frank, 1997. "Duration for bonds with default risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Ephraim Clark & Geeta Lakshmi, 2003. "Controlling the risk: a case study of the Indian liquidity crisis 1990-92," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 285-298.
- Nawalkha, Sanjay K., 1996. "A contingent claims analysis of the interest rate risk characteristics of corporate liabilities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 227-245, March.
- Chunsheng Zhou, 1997. "A jump-diffusion approach to modeling credit risk and valuing defaultable securities," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kraft, Holger & Munk, Claus, 2007. "Bond durations: Corporates vs. Treasuries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3720-3741, December.
- Charles S. Morris & Robert Neal & Douglas Rolph, 1998. "Credit spreads and interest rates : a cointegration approach," Research Working Paper 98-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Tsai, Ming-Shann & Liao, Szu-Lang & Chiang, Shu-Ling, 2009. "Analyzing yield, duration and convexity of mortgage loans under prepayment and default risks," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 92-103, June.
- Alain Capiez, 2000. "Evaluation du crédit-bail et risque de crédit," Post-Print halshs-00587435, HAL.
- Jarrow, Robert A. & Turnbull, Stuart M., 2000. "The intersection of market and credit risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 271-299, January.
- Nawalkha, Sanjay K., 1995. "The duration vector: A continuous-time extension to default-free interest rate contingent claims," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1359-1366, November.
- Jacoby, Gady & Roberts, Gordon S., 2003. "Default- and call-adjusted duration for corporate bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2297-2321, December.
- Xie, Yan Alice & Liu, Sheen & Wu, Chunchi & Anderson, Bing, 2009. "The effects of default and call risk on bond duration," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1700-1708, September.
- Lee, Hei Wai & Xie, Yan Alice & Yau, Jot, 2011. "The impact of sovereign risk on bond duration: Evidence from Asian sovereign bond markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 441-451, June.
- Kwamie Dunbar, . "An Empirical Review of United States Corporate Default Swap Valuation: The Implications of Functional Forms," Fordham Economics Dissertations, Fordham University, Department of Economics, number 2005.2.
- Brown, Christine A. & Wang, Sally, 2002. "Credit risk: The case of First Interstate Bankcorp," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 229-248.
- Clark, Ephraim & Lakshmi, Geeta, 2004. "Sovereign debt and the cost of migration: India 1990-1992," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 111-134, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.