Technical Efficiency Estimates of Scottish Agriculture: A Note
AbstractWithin the UK there has been a lack of studies of technical efficiency at the Scottish level. This note compares the results obtained using Scottish data with a recent study by Hadley ["Journal of Agricultural Economics" (2006) Vol. 57, pp. 81-100] for English and Welsh farms. Four major sectors are investigated, namely: (i) cereals, (ii) dairy, (iii) sheep and (iv) beef over the period 1989 to 2004. Some distinct differences in efficiencies, returns to scale and causes of efficiency are found. Copyright (c) 2008 The Author. Journal compilation (c) 2008 The Agricultural Economics Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 59 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-857X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Areal, Francisco J & Tiffin, Richard & Balcombe, Kelvin, 2010. "Provision of an environmental output within a multi-output distance function approach," MPRA Paper 25051, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Milne, Catherine E. & Leat, Philip M.K. & Cho, Woong Je, 2006.
"Explaining Cost Efficiency of Scottish Farms: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis,"
46001, Scotland's Rural College (formerly Scottish Agricultural College), Land Economy & Environment Research Group.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Milne, Catherine E. & Leat, Philip M.K. & Cho, Woong Je, 2006. "Explaining Cost Efficiency of Scottish Farms: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Working Papers 46001, Scottish Agricultural College, Land Economy Research Group.
- Otieno, David Jakinda & Hubbard, Lionel J. & Ruto, Eric, 2012. "Determinants of technical efficiency in beef cattle production in Kenya," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125853, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Revoredo-Giha, Cesar & Milne, Catherine E. & Leat, Philip M.K. & Cho, Woong Je, 2009. "Efficiency of Scottish Farms: A Stochastic Cost Frontier Analysis," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(2), June.
- Imori, Denise & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins & Postali, Fernando Antonio Slaibe, 2012.
"Eficiência técnica das agropecuárias familiar e patronal – diferenças regionais no Brasil
[Technical efficiency of agricultural households and business - regional differences in Brazil]," MPRA Paper 46954, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Imori, Denise & Guilhoto, Joaquim José Martins & Postali, Fernando Antonio Slaibe, 2012. "Production efficiency of family farms and business farms in the Brazilian regions," MPRA Paper 46995, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Otieno, David Jakinda & Hubbard, Lionel J. & Ruto, Eric, 2011. "Technical efficiency and technology gaps in beef cattle production systems in Kenya: A stochastic metafrontier analysis," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108947, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.