A Practical Approach To Calculating Costs Of Equity For Investments In Emerging Markets
AbstractWhile most financial economists argue that multinational corporations (MNCs) should use discount rates that reflect only "systematic" or "covariance" risks when evaluating offshore projects, the managers of most MNCs do not appear to follow this prescription of the CAPM. Instead they favor use of discount rates that reflect the "total risk" of emerging-market investments (as evidenced, for example, by the comments of the executives in the Roundtable discussion that immediately precedes this article). 1996 Morgan Stanley.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Morgan Stanley in its journal Journal of Applied Corporate Finance.
Volume (Year): 9 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1078-1196
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pollio, Gerald, 1998. "Project finance and international energy development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(9), pages 687-697, August.
- Petre Brezeanu & Lucian Ionescu & Cristina Maria Triandafil, 2009. "Country Risk Within CEE Area: Empirical Perspective on Corporate Cost of Equity," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 9(3), pages 81-86.
- Cooper, Ian A. & Kaplanis, Evi, 2000. "Partially segmented international capital markets and international capital budgeting," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 309-329, June.
- Estrada, Javier & Serra, Ana Paula, 2005. "Risk and return in emerging markets: Family matters," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 257-272, July.
- Maquieira, Carlos P. & Preve, Lorenzo A. & Sarria-Allende, Virginia, 2012. "Theory and practice of corporate finance: Evidence and distinctive features in Latin America," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 118-148.
- Juan Jose Cruces & Marcos Buscaglia & Joaquin Alonso, 2002. "The Term Structure of Country Risk and Valuation in Emerging Markets," Working Papers 46, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Apr 2002.
- Grandes, Martin & Panigo, Demian T. & Pasquini, Ricardo A., 2010. "On the estimation of the cost of equity in Latin America," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 373-389, December.
- Hwang, Soosung & Pedersen, Christian S., 2004. "Asymmetric risk measures when modelling emerging markets equities: evidence for regional and timing effects," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 109-128, March.
- Mishra, Dev R. & O'Brien, Thomas J., 2005. "Risk and ex ante cost of equity estimates of emerging market firms," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 107-120, June.
- Pereiro, Luis E., 2006. "The practice of investment valuation in emerging markets: Evidence from Argentina," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 160-183, April.
- Maria PASCU-NEDELCU, 2011. "Gaps Identified In Econometric Models For Cost Of Capital Estimation Already Built," Journal of Doctoral Research in Economics, The Bucharest University of Economic Studies, vol. 3(2), pages 49-58, June.
- Samuel Mongrut & Dídac Ramírez, 2006. "Discount Rates in Emerging Capital Markets," Working Papers 06-03, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, revised Jun 2006.
- Piotr Wdowinski, 2004. "Determinants of Country Beta Risk in Poland," CESifo Working Paper Series 1120, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fuenzalida, Darcy & Mongrut, Samuel, 2010. "Estimation Of Discount Rates In Latin America: Empirical Evidence And Challenges," Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Science, Universidad ESAN, vol. 15(28), pages 7-43.
- Pereiro, Luis E., 2001. "The valuation of closely-held companies in Latin America," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 330-370, December.
- Yury Dranev & Sofya Fomkina, 2013. "An asymmetric approach to the cost of equity estimation: empirical evidence from Russia," HSE Working papers WP BRP 12/FE/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Gangemi, Michael A. M. & Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W., 2000. "Modeling Australia's country risk: a country beta approach," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 259-276.
- Sirtaine, Sophie & Pinglo, Maria Elena & Guasch, J. Luis & Foster, Vivien, 2005. "How profitable are private infrastructure concessions in Latin America?: Empirical evidence and regulatory implications," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 380-402, May.
- Samuel Mongrut Montalván & Didac Ramírez Sarrió, 2005. "Discount Rates in Emerging Capital Markets," Finance 0501013, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.