A New Variance Ratio Test of Random Walk in Emerging Markets: A Revisit
AbstractUsing a nonparametric variance ratio (VR) test, we revisit the empirical validity of the random walk hypothesis in eight emerging markets in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). After correcting for measurement biases caused by thin and infrequent trading prevalent in nascent and small stock markets, we cannot reject the random walk hypothesis for the MENA markets. We conclude that a nonparametric VR test is appropriate for emerging stock markets, and argue that our findings can reconcile previously contradictory results regarding the efficiency of MENA markets. Copyright 2007, The Eastern Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Finance Association in its journal Financial Review.
Volume (Year): 42 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Batuo Enowbi, Michael & Guidi, Francesco & Mlambo, Kupukile, 2009.
"Testing the weak-form market efficiency and the day of the week effects of some African countries,"
19116, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Batuo Enowbi & Francesco Guidi & Kupukile Mlambo, 2010. "Testing the Weak-form Market Efficiency and the Day of the Week Effects of some African Countries," The African Finance Journal, Africagrowth Institute, vol. 12(Conferenc), pages 1-26.
- Kearney, Colm, 2012. "Emerging markets research: Trends, issues and future directions," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 159-183.
- Hiremath, Gourishankar S & Bandi, Kamaiah, 2012. "Variance ratios, structural breaks and nonrandom walk behaviour in the Indian stock returns," MPRA Paper 48710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:2009.01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Takeshi Inoue & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2011. "An empirical analysis on the efficiency of the microfinance investment market," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2725-2735.
- Lim, Kian-Ping & Brooks, Robert D. & Hinich, Melvin J., 2008. "Nonlinear serial dependence and the weak-form efficiency of Asian emerging stock markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 527-544, December.
- Abul Shamsuddin & Jae H Kim, 2009.
"Short-Horizon Return Predictability in International Equity Markets,"
2009.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Abul Shamsuddin & Jae H. Kim, 2010. "Short-Horizon Return Predictability in International Equity Markets," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 469-484, 05.
- Masih, Mansur & Alzahrani, Mohammed & Al-Titi, Omar, 2010. "Systematic risk and time scales: New evidence from an application of wavelet approach to the emerging Gulf stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 10-18, January.
- Hiremath, Gourishankar S & Bandi, Kamaiah, 2010. "Some Further Evidence on the Behaviour of Stock Returns in India," MPRA Paper 48518, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Osamah AlKhazali, 2011. "Does infrequent trading make a difference on stock market efficiency?: Evidence from the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 96-110, June.
- Bley, Jorg, 2011. "Are GCC stock markets predictable?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 217-237, September.
- de, Vries Frans & Montagnoli, Alberto, 2009. "Carbon trading thickness and market efficiency: A non-parametric test," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2009-22, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Jian Zhang & Lee W. Sanning & Sherrill Shaffer, 2010. "Market Efficiency Test in the VIX Futures Market," CAMA Working Papers 2010-08, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Chiang, Shu-Mei & Lee, Yen-Hsien & Su, Hsin-Mei & Tzou, Yi-Pin, 2010. "Efficiency tests of foreign exchange markets for four Asian Countries," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 284-294, September.
- Hiremath, Gourishankar S & Bandi, Kamaiah, 2009. "On the random walk characteristics of stock returns in India," MPRA Paper 46499, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.