Board Composition, Managerial Ownership, and Firm Performance: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractOur objective is to examine the sensitivity of simultaneous equations techniques in corporate governance research. We model Tobin's Q, board composition, and managerial ownership using a three-equation instrumental variables approach, with two specifications and four instruments. We find that the variables are jointly determined. However, results depend strongly on the specification of the model and the instruments. We conclude that results using simultaneous equations methods must be interpreted cautiously, OLS estimates should not be casually dismissed, and that sensitivity analysis is essential when estimating an empirical model whose structure is uncertain. Copyright 1998 by MIT Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Finance Association in its journal The Financial Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Halpern, Paul & Kieschnick, Robert & Rotenberg, Wendy, 2005. "Managerial shareholdings, firm value, and acquired corporations," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-5), pages 781-795, September.
- Elsayed, Khaled & Paton, David, 2005. "The impact of environmental performance on firm performance: static and dynamic panel data evidence," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 395-412, September.
- Salim Chahine & Assem Safieddine, 2011. "Is corporate governance different for the Lebanese banking system?," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 207-226, May.
- Afzalur Rashid, 2013. "CEO duality and agency cost: evidence from Bangladesh," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 989-1008, November.
- Haris Arshad & Attiya Yasmin Javid, 2014. "Does Inside Ownership Matters in Financial Decisions and Firm Performance: Evidence from Manufacturing Sector of Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2014:107, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Wiem Elmanaa Madani & Wafa Khlif, 2005. "Effets De La Structure De Propriete Sur La Performance Comptable : Etude Empirique Sur Les Entreprises Tunisiennes Indistruelles Non Cotees," Post-Print halshs-00581192, HAL.
- Azhaar Lajmi & Marjène Gana, 2011. "Structure de Propriété et Qualité de l'Audit Externe : Cas des Entreprises Belges Cotées," Post-Print hal-00650542, HAL.
- Lefort, Fernando & Urzúa, Francisco, 2008. "Board independence, firm performance and ownership concentration: Evidence from Chile," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 615-622, June.
- Truong, Thanh & Heaney, Richard, 2007. "Largest shareholder and dividend policy around the world," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 667-687, December.
- Seifert, Bruce & Gonenc, Halit & Wright, Jim, 2005. "The international evidence on performance and equity ownership by insiders, blockholders, and institutions," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 171-191, April.
- Marisela Santiago-Castro & Cynthia Brown, 2011. "Corporate governance, expropriation of minority shareholders’ rights, and performance of Latin American enterprises," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 429-447, November.
- Marko Simoneti & Aleksandra Gregoric, 2004. "Managerial ownership and corporate performance in Slovenian post-privatisation period," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 1(2), pages 217-241, December.
- Chalevas, Constantinos G., 2011. "The Effect of the Mandatory Adoption of Corporate Governance Mechanisms on Executive Compensation," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 138-174, June.
- Drakos, A.A. & Bekiris, F.V., 2010. "Corporate performance, managerial ownership and endogeneity: A simultaneous equations analysis for the Athens stock exchange," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 24-38, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.