Separation and Hedging Results with State-Contingent Production
AbstractA state-contingent model of production under uncertainty is developed and compared with more traditional models of production under uncertainty. Producer behavior with both production and price risk, in the presence and in the absence of futures and forward markets, is analyzed in this state-contingent framework. Conditions for the optimal hedge to be positive or negative are derived. The authors also show that, under plausible conditions, a risk-averse producer facing price uncertainty and the ability to hedge price risk will never willingly adopt a non-stochastic technology. New separation results, which hold in the presence of both price and production risk, are then developed. These separation results generalize Townsend's spanning results by reducing the number of necessary forward markets by one. Copyright 1997 by The London School of Economics and Political Science
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 64 (1997)
Issue (Month): 254 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Chambers, R.G. & Quiggin, J., 1995. "Separation and Hedging Results with State-Contingent Production," Papers 293, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- C.J. O'Donnell & W.E. Griffiths, 2004.
"Estimating State-Contingent Production Frontiers,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
911, The University of Melbourne.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2006. "The effects of abandonment options on operating leverage and forward hedging," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 72-86.
- Hennessy, David A. & Roosen, Jutta, 2003.
"Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A,"
Staff General Research Papers
10176, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy & Jutta Roosen, 2003. "Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 03-wp323, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- David A. Hennessy & Jutta Roosen, 2003. "Cost-Based Model of Seasonal Production, with Application to Milk Policy, A," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 03-wp323, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- John Quiggin & Robert G. Chambers, .
"The state-contingent approach to production under uncertainty,"
Risk & Uncertainty Working Papers
WPR05_1, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Quiggin, John C. & Chambers, Robert G., 2006. "The state-contingent approach to production under uncertainty," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- Quiggin, John & Chambers, Robert G, 2005. "The state-contingent approach to production and uncertainty," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151168, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Jaenicke, Edward C. & Larson, James A., 2001. "Production Risk Revisited In A Stochastic Frontier Framework: Evaluating Noise And Inefficiency In Cover Crop Systems," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20477, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chambers, Robert G., 2006. "Some Empirical Implications of State-Contingent Production Models," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 137789, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.