Real-Time Density Forecasts From Bayesian Vector Autoregressions With Stochastic Volatility
AbstractCentral banks and other forecasters are increasingly interested in various aspects of density forecasts. However, recent sharp changes in macroeconomic volatility, including the Great Moderation and the more recent sharp rise in volatility associated with increased variation in energy prices and the deep global recession-pose significant challenges to density forecasting. Accordingly, this paper examines, with real-time data, density forecasts of U.S. GDP growth, unemployment, inflation, and the federal funds rate from Bayesian vector autoregression (BVAR) models with stochastic volatility. The results indicate that adding stochastic volatility to BVARs materially improves the real-time accuracy of density forecasts. This article has supplementary material online.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- Todd E. Clark, 2011. "Real-Time Density Forecasts From Bayesian Vector Autoregressions With Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 327-341, July.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carriero, Andrea & Clark, Todd & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2012.
"Common Drifting Volatility in Large Bayesian VARs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8894, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrea CARRIERO & Todd E. CLARK & Massimiliano MARCELLINO, 2012. "Common Drifting Volatility in Large Bayesian VARs," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/08, European University Institute.
- Andrea Carriero & Todd E. Clark & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2012. "Common drifting volatility in large Bayesian VARs," Working Paper 1206, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Piergiorgio Alessandri & Haroon Mumtaz, 2013.
"Financial conditions and density forecasts for US Output and inflation,"
Joint Research Papers
4, Centre for Central Banking Studies, Bank of England.
- Piergiorgio Alessandri & Haroon Mumtaz, 2014. "Financial Conditions and Density Forecasts for US Output and Inflation," Working Papers 715, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Dave Reifschneider & William Wascher & David Wilcox, 2013. "Aggregate supply in the United States: recent developments and implications for the conduct of monetary policy," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2013-77, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Luiz Renato Lima, 2014.
"Constructing Optimal Density Forecasts From Point Forecast Combinations,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(5), pages 736-757, 08.
- Luiz Renato Regis de Oliveira Lima & Wagner Piazza Gaglianone, 2012. "Constructing Optimal Density Forecasts from Point Forecast Combinations," SÃ©rie Textos para DiscussÃ£o (Working Papers) 5, Programa de Pós-Graduação em Economia - PPGE, Universidade Federal da Paraíba.
- Knotek, Edward S. & Zaman, Saeed, 2014. "On the Relationships between Wages, Prices, and Economic Activity," Economic Commentary, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Aug.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano & Porqueddu, Mario & Venditti, Fabrizio, 2013.
"Short-term GDP forecasting with a mixed frequency dynamic factor model with stochastic volatility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9334, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & Mario Porqueddu & Fabrizio Venditti, 2013. "Short-term GDP forecasting with a mixed frequency dynamic factor model with stochastic volatility," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 896, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Knotek, Edward S. & Zaman, Saeed, 2014. "Nowcasting U.S. Headline and Core Inflation," Working Paper 1403, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Wagner Piazza Gaglianone & Jaqueline Terra Moura Marins, 2014. "Risk Assessment of the Brazilian FX Rate," Working Papers Series 344, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Roberto Casarin & Marco Tronzano & Domenico Sartore, 2013. "Bayesian Markov Switching Stochastic Correlation Models," Working Papers 2013:11, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Taeyoung Doh & Michael Connolly, 2012. "The state space representation and estimation of a time-varying parameter VAR with stochastic volatility," Research Working Paper RWP 12-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Clements, Michael P. & Galvão, Ana Beatriz, 2013. "Forecasting with vector autoregressive models of data vintages: US output growth and inflation," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 698-714.
- Marco Del Negro & Marc P. Giannoni & Frank Schorfheide, 2014.
"Inflation in the Great Recession and New Keynesian Models,"
NBER Working Papers
20055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Del Negro & Marc P. Giannoni & Frank Schorfheide, 2013. "Inflation in the Great Recession and New Keynesian models," Staff Reports 618, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Barbara Rossi & Tatevik Sehkposyan, 2013.
"Evaluating Predictive Densities of US Output Growth and Inflation in a Large Macroeconomic Data Set,"
689, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Rossi, Barbara & Sekhposyan, Tatevik, 2014. "Evaluating predictive densities of US output growth and inflation in a large macroeconomic data set," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 662-682.
- Barbara Rossi & Tatevik Sekhposyan, 2013. "Evaluating predictive densities of U.S. output growth and inflation in a large macroeconomic data set," Economics Working Papers 1370, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Shaun P Vahey & Elizabeth C Wakerly, 2013. "Moving towards probability forecasting," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Globalisation and inflation dynamics in Asia and the Pacific, volume 70, pages 3-8 Bank for International Settlements.
- Karlsson, Sune, 2012. "Forecasting with Bayesian Vector Autoregressions," Working Papers 2012:12, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Manzan, Sebastiano & Zerom, Dawit, 2013. "Are macroeconomic variables useful for forecasting the distribution of U.S. inflation?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 469-478.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.