Fiscalidad real y fiscalidad municipal en Castilla durante el siglo XVII: el caso de Madrid
AbstractThis article studies the interrelation between royal and municipal taxation in Castile during the 17th century through the analysis of the case of Madrid. After the introduction, the second part describes the main royal taxes levied in the city, while the third studies municipal ones. The fourth part deals with those royal taxes transferred by the Crown to Madrid after 1653 in return for the substantial monetary services provided. These different taxes are shown at an aggregate level in fifth part. The series obtained shows how while the importance of Madrid as a source of fiscal revenues for the Crown fell during the second half of the century, its role as supplier of monetary services aroused. As a whole, the sums paid by the capital inhabitants both to the royal and municipal treasuries grew throughout the century. Finally, the sixth part discusses the series after deflating it by New Castile price index between 1621 and 1700. KEY Classification-JEL: E65, H71, N13, N23, N43, N93
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Asociación Española de Historia Económica in its journal Investigaciones de Historia Económica (IHE) Journal of the Spanish Economic History Association.
Volume (Year): 5 (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
Royal Taxation; Municipal Taxation; Madrid; Modern Spain;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- N13 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N23 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N43 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N93 - Economic History - - Regional and Urban History - - - Europe: Pre-1913
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (José Antonio Miranda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.