The German Microcensus as a Tool for Longitudinal Data Analysis: An Evaluation Using SOEP Data
AbstractThe German Microcensus is a rotating panel, where the units stay in the survey for four observations. Because of the very large sample size and the mandatory participation it appears to be a valuable data base for short duration analysis. However, the German Microcensus (MC) uses area sampling where participants are not followed if they leave the area. Consequently there is no information on participants after they move. We investigate how the use of the German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) can help to measure the non-coverage bias of the MC. Our methodology is evaluated for labour force flows. The results indicate that the SOEP is a valuable instrument for assessing the non-coverage bias in the MC. For labour force flows the non-coverage bias of the MC appears to be only of moderate size.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Duncker & Humblot, Berlin in its journal Schmollers Jahrbuch.
Volume (Year): 125 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.duncker-humblot.de
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- J69 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rendtel, Ulrich & Basic, Edin, 2007. "Assessing the bias due to non-coverage of residential movers in the German microcensus panel: an evaluation using data from the socio-economic panel," Discussion Papers 2007/6, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Joachim Wagner, 2007.
"Neue Möglichkeiten zur Nutzung vertraulicher amtlicher Personen- und Firmendaten,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
48, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Joachim Wagner, 2008. "Neue Möglichkeiten zur Nutzung vertraulicher amtlicher Personen- und Firmendaten," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9(3), pages 329-349, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Freudenmann).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.