An Integrative Model of Firms’ Entry Decisions
AbstractThe paper presents a tractable empirical entry model that integrates strategic considerations and firms’ heterogeneity. Individual entry decisions are derived from a profit function and are specified as the outcome of a discrete game among potential entrants. Using data from a set of Portuguese manufacturing industries over a 6-years period, the estimation of the reduced form of the entry model is based on panel count data models, rendering a novel departure from previous works. The results suggest that both incumbents’ behaviour towards entry and firm-specific characteristics provide additional and interesting insights in understanding entry. Specifically, entrants choose the structure of their labour force as an important firm-specific resource. We also find that industry structure matters greatly.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Duncker & Humblot, Berlin in its journal Applied Economics Quarterly.
Volume (Year): 53 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.duncker-humblot.de
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manjon, M.C., 2004.
"Firm Size and Short-Term Dynamics in Aggregate Entry and Exit,"
2004-2, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Manjón-Antolín, Miguel C., 2010. "Firm size and short-term dynamics in aggregate entry and exit," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 464-476, September.
- Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2004. "Firm Size and Short-Term Dynamics in Aggregate Entry and Exit," Working Papers 2072/1778, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Deborah Anne Bowen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.