Lessons Learned from Electricity Market Liberalization
AbstractThis paper discusses the lessons learned from electricity sector liberalization over the last 20 years. The attributes of reform models that have exhibited good performance attributes are identified, drawing on empirical analysis of market structure, behavior and performance in many countries. Wholesale and retail market competition and network regulation performance evidence are discussed. Technical, economic, and political challenges to improving the efficiency of what continue to be partial liberalization programs in many countries are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Energy Economics in its journal The Energy Journal.
Volume (Year): Volume 29 (2008)
Issue (Month): Special Issue #2 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F0 - International Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carley, Sanya, 2011. "Historical analysis of U.S. electricity markets: Reassessing carbon lock-in," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 720-732, February.
- Fridolfsson, Sven-Olof & Tangerås, Thomas P., 2009. "Market power in the Nordic electricity wholesale market: A survey of the empirical evidence," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3681-3692, September.
- Adrien de Hauteclocque & Yannick Perez, 2011. "Law & Economics Perspectives on Electricity Regulation," RSCAS Working Papers 2011/21, European University Institute.
- Lehmann, Paul & Gawel, Erik, 2011.
"Why should support schemes for renewable electricity complement the EU emissions trading scheme?,"
UFZ Discussion Papers
5/2011, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Lehmann, Paul & Gawel, Erik, 2013. "Why should support schemes for renewable electricity complement the EU emissions trading scheme?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 597-607.
- Galetovic, Alexander & Muñoz, Cristián M., 2011. "Regulated electricity retailing in Chile," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6453-6465, October.
- Fridolfsson, Sven-Olof & Tangerås, Thomas, 2011. "Nuclear Capacity Auctions," Working Paper Series 892, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Cepeda, Mauricio & Saguan, Marcelo & Finon, Dominique & Pignon, Virginie, 2009. "Generation adequacy and transmission interconnection in regional electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5612-5622, December.
- Warren, Patrick L. & Wilkening, Tom S., 2012. "Regulatory fog: The role of information in regulatory persistence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 840-856.
- Poletti, Steve, 2009. "Government procurement of peak capacity in the New Zealand electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3409-3417, September.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2011.
"The impact of power market reforms on electricity price-cost margins and cross-subsidy levels: a cross country panel data analysis,"
28414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2011. "The impact of power market reforms on electricity price-cost margins and cross-subsidy levels: A cross country panel data analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1080-1092, March.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2010. "Electricity Market Reform: Lessons for developing countries," MPRA Paper 27317, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Batlle, Carlos & Barroso, Luiz A. & Pérez-Arriaga, Ignacio J., 2010. "The changing role of the State in the expansion of electricity supply in Latin America," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7152-7160, November.
- Bohne, Eberhard, 2011. "Conflicts between national regulatory cultures and EU energy regulations," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 255-269.
- Maria Teresa Costa-Campi & Néstor Duch-Brown & José García-Quevedo, 2013. "R&D drivers and obstacles to innovation in the energy industry," Working Papers 2013/23, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Fuat Oğuz, 2010. "Competition by regulation in energy markets: the case of Turkey," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 41-58, August.
- Nowak, Bartlomiej, 2009. "Challenges of Liberalization. The Case of Polish Electricity and Gas Sector," MPRA Paper 23804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Billette de Villemeur, Etienne & Pineau, Pierre-Olivier, 2012.
"Regulation and electricity market integration: When trade introduces inefficiencies,"
41251, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Billette de Villemeur, Etienne & Pineau, Pierre-Olivier, 2012. "Regulation and electricity market integration: When trade introduces inefficiencies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 529-535.
- Krol, Noortje & Polman, Nico & Peerlings, Jack & Nikolov, Dimitre, 2010. "Changing governance in the EU milk supply chain," IAMO Forum 2010: Institutions in Transition â Challenges for New Modes of Governance 52703, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Nepal, Rabindra & Jamasb, Tooraj, 2013. "Caught Between Theory and Practice: Government, Market and Regulatory Failures in Electricity," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1308, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Soledad Arellano, 2004. "Reformando el sector eléctrico chileno: Diga NO a la liberalización del mercado spot (Reforming the Chilean electricity sector: Just say NO to the Liberation of the spot market)," Documentos de Trabajo 197, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2013. "Essays on Electricity Market Reforms: A Cross-Country Applied Approach," MPRA Paper 47139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Lehmann & Felix Creutzig & Melf-Hinrich Ehlers & Nele Friedrichsen & Clemens Heuson & Lion Hirth & Robert Pietzcker, 2012. "Carbon Lock-Out: Advancing Renewable Energy Policy in Europe," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(2), pages 323-354, February.
- Arango, Santiago & Larsen, Erik, 2011. "Cycles in deregulated electricity markets: Empirical evidence from two decades," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2457-2466, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Williams).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.