A Model of Homogeneous Input Demand under Price Uncertainty
AbstractThis paper examines the empirical validity of a model of homogeneous input demand under price uncertainty in which firms trade off expected input cost against its variability (risk) in selecting the optimal input supplier mix. Using recent work in time-series econometrics, this model is applied to the Japanese steam-coal import market, where five suppliers compete: China, the Soviet Union, South Africa, the United States, and Australia. Copyright 1991 by American Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 81 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guy Meunier, 2013.
"Risk aversion and technology mix in an electricity market,"
- Meunier, Guy, 2013. "Risk aversion and technology mix in an electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 866-874.
- Guy MEUNIER, 2013. "Risk aversion and technology mix in an electricity market," Working Papers 221660, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Tai-Hsin Huang, 2004. "Empirical estimation of production risk using a cost function with panel data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 297-301.
- Elie Appelbaum & Alan D. Woodland, 2010.
"The Effects of Foreign Price Uncertainty on Australian Production and Trade,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(273), pages 162-177, 06.
- Elie Appelbaum & Alan D. Woodland, 2008. "The Effects of Foreign Price Uncertainty on Australian Production and Trade," Working Papers 2008_03, York University, Department of Economics.
- Jose Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 1993.
"Investment in Manufacturing, Exchange-Rates and External Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
4378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campa, Jose & Goldberg, Linda S., 1995. "Investment in manufacturing, exchange rates and external exposure," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 297-320, May.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, .
"Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes,"
GSIA Working Papers
2006-E43, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, 2007. "Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 510-521, August.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, 2006. "Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes," NBER Working Papers 12156, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, Hui-Shung, 1997. "Coking coal procurement policies of the Japanese steel mills: changes and implications," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 125-135, September.
- Tai-Hsin Huang & Tong-Liang Kao, 2006. "Joint estimation of technical efficiency and production risk for multi-output banks under a panel data cost frontier model," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 87-102, August.
- Muhammad, Andrew & D’Souza, Anna & Amponsah, William, 2013. "Violence, Instability, and Trade: Evidence from Kenya’s Cut Flower Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 20-31.
- repec:fth:calaec:10-99 is not listed on IDEAS
- M. Ryan Haley & Harry J. Paarsch, 2004. "The stochastic implications of rent maximization: an application to stumpage rates for timber in British Columbia," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 25-48.
- Guy Meunier, 2012. "Risk aversion and technology portfolios," Working Papers hal-00763358, HAL.
- Kolstad, Charles D. & Kelly, David L. & Mitchell, Glenn, 1999. "Adjustment Costs from Environmental Change Induced by Incomplete Information and Learning," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt9mx119gc, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.