The Effects of Capital Income Taxation on International Competitiveness and Trade Flows
AbstractUsing an intertemporal equilibrium model, this paper analyzes how lower source-based taxes on capital income impact trade performance and international competitiveness. It shows that, depending on import shares and intertemporal and intratemporal substitution elasticities, capital accumulation may induce changes in real interest rates and the terms of trade that stimulate domestic saving--even if financial capital is perfectly mobile internationally. Import shares appear important determinants of exchange-rate effects. Numerical simulations illustrate these results. Copyright 1989 by American Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 79 (1989)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Other versions of this item:
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1989. "The effects of capital income taxation on international competitiveness and trade flows," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152951, Tilburg University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Steve Symansky, 1991.
"International VAT Harmonization: Economic Effects,"
NBER Working Papers
3656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tate, Robert & Finlayson, Greg & MacWilliam, Leonard & Wiley, Miriam M. & Morgenroth, Edgar & FitzGerald, John, 2006. "Health," Book Chapters, in: Morgenroth, Edgar (ed.), Ex-Ante Evaluation of the Investment Priorities for the National Development Plan 2007-2013 Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Casper van Ewijk & Erik Canton & Paul Tang, 2004. "Ageing and international capital flows," CPB Document 43, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & Goulder, L.H., 1993.
"Promoting investment under international capital mobility: An intertemporal general equilibrium analysis,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152978, Tilburg University.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & Goulder, Lawrence H, 1993. " Promoting Investment under International Capital Mobility: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 133-56.
- A. Lans Bovenberg & Lawrence H. Goulder, 1989. "Promoting Investment under International Capital Mobility: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis," NBER Working Papers 3139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Go, Delfin S., 1998. "The Simplest Dynamic General-Equilibrium Model of an Open Economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 677-714, December.
- Fahey, Tony & Scott, Susan & FitzGerald, John, 2006. "Sports and Arts," Book Chapters, in: Morgenroth, Edgar (ed.), Ex-Ante Evaluation of the Investment Priorities for the National Development Plan 2007-2013 Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Philippe THALMANN & Lawrence H. GOULDER & François DELORME, 1994.
"Assessing the International Spillover Effects of Capital Income Taxation,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9411, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Philippe Thalmann & Lawrence Goulder & François Delorme, 1996. "Assessing the international spillover effects of capital income taxation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 449-478, October.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1996. "Approximation, perturbation, and projection methods in economic analysis," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 509-585 Elsevier.
- Osang, Thomas & Pereira, Alfredo, 1997. "Foreign growth and domestic performance in a small open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 499-512, November.
- Lih-Jau Wang, 1995. "Environmental capital flight and pollution tax," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 5(3), pages 273-286, April.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 1991.
"The Making of Exchange Rate Policy in the 1980s,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt42w688hs, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Morgenroth, Edgar & FitzGerald, John (ed.), 2006. "Ex-ante Evaluation of the Investment Priorities for the National Development Plan 2007-2013," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number PRS59.
- Fahey, Tony & Russell, Helen & FitzGerald, John, 2006. "Childcare," Book Chapters, in: Morgenroth, Edgar (ed.), Ex-Ante Evaluation of the Investment Priorities for the National Development Plan 2007-2013 Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- O'Connell, Philip J. & Russell, Helen & FitzGerald, John, 2006. "Human Resources," Book Chapters, in: Morgenroth, Edgar (ed.), Ex-Ante Evaluation of the Investment Priorities for the National Development Plan 2007-2013 Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Bettendorf, Leon, 1998. "Investment-Promoting Policies in the Presence of International Interactions," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 715-740, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.