Social Science & Medicine
2016, Volume 164, Issue C
- 49-58 Do racial inequities in infant mortality correspond to variations in societal conditions? A study of state-level income inequality in the U.S., 1992–2007
by Siddiqi, Arjumand & Jones, Marcella K. & Bruce, Donald J. & Erwin, Paul C.
- 59-73 Healthy or unhealthy migrants? Identifying internal migration effects on mortality in Africa using health and demographic surveillance systems of the INDEPTH network
by Ginsburg, Carren & Bocquier, Philippe & Béguy, Donatien & Afolabi, Sulaimon & Augusto, Orvalho & Derra, Karim & Herbst, Kobus & Lankoande, Bruno & Odhiambo, Frank & Otiende, Mark & Soura, Abdramane & Wamukoya, Marylene & Zabré, Pascal & White, Michael J. & Collinson, Mark A.
- 74-88 Does fiscal decentralization improve health outcomes? Evidence from infant mortality in Italy
by Cavalieri, Marina & Ferrante, Livio
- 89-99 Agroecology and sustainable food systems: Participatory research to improve food security among HIV-affected households in northern Malawi
by Nyantakyi-Frimpong, Hanson & Mambulu, Faith Nankasa & Bezner Kerr, Rachel & Luginaah, Isaac & Lupafya, Esther
- 100-107 Rhetoric and the law, or the law of rhetoric: How countries oppose novel tobacco control measures at the World Trade Organization
by Lencucha, Raphael & Drope, Jeffrey & Labonte, Ronald
- 108-117 Collaboration and entanglement: An actor-network theory analysis of team-based intraprofessional care for patients with advanced heart failure
by McDougall, A. & Goldszmidt, M. & Kinsella, E.A. & Smith, S. & Lingard, L.
- 118-129 The impact of strengthening cigarette pack warnings: Systematic review of longitudinal observational studies
by Noar, Seth M. & Francis, Diane B. & Bridges, Christy & Sontag, Jennah M. & Ribisl, Kurt M. & Brewer, Noel T.
- 133-140 Medical mistrust among social network members may contribute to antiretroviral treatment nonadherence in African Americans living with HIV
by Bogart, Laura M. & Wagner, Glenn J. & Green, Harold D. & Mutchler, Matt G. & Klein, David J. & McDavitt, Bryce & Lawrence, Sean J. & Hilliard, Charles L.
- 141-149 Interpersonal communication about pictorial health warnings on cigarette packages: Policy-related influences and relationships with smoking cessation attempts
by Thrasher, James F. & Abad-Vivero, Erika N. & Huang, Liling & O'Connor, Richard J. & Hammond, David & Bansal-Travers, Maansi & Yong, Hua-Hie & Borland, Ron & Markovsky, Barry & Hardin, James
- 150-157 Are liveable neighbourhoods safer neighbourhoods? Testing the rhetoric on new urbanism and safety from crime in Perth, Western Australia
by Foster, Sarah & Hooper, Paula & Knuiman, Matthew & Bull, Fiona & Giles-Corti, Billie
2016, Volume 163, Issue C
- 1-9 “Whenever they cry, I cry with them”: Reciprocal relationships and the role of ethics in a verbal autopsy study in Papua New Guinea
by Gouda, H.N. & Kelly-Hanku, A. & Wilson, L. & Maraga, S. & Riley, I.D.
- 10-20 Can cash transfers improve determinants of maternal mortality? Evidence from the household and community programs in Indonesia
by Kusuma, Dian & Cohen, Jessica & McConnell, Margaret & Berman, Peter
- 21-27 “It’s not if I get cancer, it’s when I get cancer”: BRCA-positive patients’ (un)certain health experiences regarding hereditary breast and ovarian cancer risk
by Dean, Marleah
- 28-36 Drivers of sustained hygiene behaviour change: A case study from mid-western Nepal
by McMichael, Celia & Robinson, Priscilla
- 37-44 Cross-section and panel estimates of peer effects in early adolescent cannabis use: With a little help from my ‘friends once removed’
by Moriarty, John & McVicar, Duncan & Higgins, Kathryn
- 45-53 Web based health surveys: Using a Two Step Heckman model to examine their potential for population health analysis
by Morrissey, Karyn & Kinderman, Peter & Pontin, Eleanor & Tai, Sara & Schwannauer, Mathias
- 54-62 Personality traits and body weight: Evidence using sibling comparisons
by Kim, Jinho
- 63-70 Political strategies in difficult times – The “backstage” experience of Swedish politicians on formal priority setting in healthcare
by Garpenby, Peter & Nedlund, Ann-Charlotte
- 71-79 Alcohol abstention in early adulthood and premature mortality: Do early life factors, social support, and health explain this association?
by Evans-Polce, Rebecca J. & Staff, Jeremy & Maggs, Jennifer L.
- 80-88 Development of an explanatory model of sexual intimacy following treatment for localised prostate cancer: A systematic review and meta-synthesis of qualitative evidence
by Tucker, Samantha R. & Speer, Susan A. & Peters, Sarah
- 89-97 Action control in dyads: A randomized controlled trial to promote physical activity in everyday life
by Berli, Corina & Stadler, Gertraud & Inauen, Jennifer & Scholz, Urte
- 98-106 “Halfway towards recovery”: Rehabilitating the relational self in narratives of postnatal depression
by Stone, Meredith & Kokanovic, Renata
- 107-116 Gender differentials and old age survival in the Nairobi slums, Kenya
by Bennett, Rachel & Chepngeno-Langat, Gloria & Evandrou, Maria & Falkingham, Jane
- 117-125 Retirement and its consequences for women's health in Australia
by Zhu, Rong
- 126-134 Exhausted without trust and inherent worth: A model of the suicide process based on experiential accounts
by Benson, Outi & Gibson, Susanne & Boden, Zoë V.R. & Owen, Gareth
- 135-143 Disentangling the directions of associations between structural social capital and mental health: Longitudinal analyses of gender, civic engagement and depressive symptoms
by Landstedt, Evelina & Almquist, Ylva B. & Eriksson, Malin & Hammarström, Anne
- 144-156 A cross-sectional and spatial analysis of the prevalence of multimorbidity and its association with socioeconomic disadvantage in South Africa: A comparison between 2008 and 2012
by Weimann, Amy & Dai, Dajun & Oni, Tolu
- 157-167 Are testosterone levels and depression risk linked based on partnering and parenting? Evidence from a large population-representative study of U.S. men and women
by Gettler, Lee T. & Oka, Rahul C.
- 168-175 Dimensions of religious involvement and leukocyte telomere length
by Hill, Terrence D. & Ellison, Christopher G. & Burdette, Amy M. & Taylor, John & Friedman, Katherine L.
2016, Volume 162, Issue C
- 1-10 The impact on health of employment and welfare transitions for those receiving out-of-work disability benefits in the UK
by Curnock, Esther & Leyland, Alastair H. & Popham, Frank
- 11-20 Growth of health maintenance organisations in Nigeria and the potential for a role in promoting universal coverage efforts
by Onoka, Chima A. & Hanson, Kara & Mills, Anne
- 21-31 Multiple contexts and adolescent body mass index: Schools, neighborhoods, and social networks
by Evans, Clare R. & Onnela, Jukka-Pekka & Williams, David R. & Subramanian, S.V.
- 32-40 Heuristic decision-making about research participation in children with cystic fibrosis
by Christofides, Emily & Dobson, Jennifer A. & Solomon, Melinda & Waters, Valerie & O’Doherty, Kieran C.
- 41-49 Socio-economic status in relation to smoking: The role of (expected and desired) social support and quitter identity
by Meijer, Eline & Gebhardt, Winifred A. & Van Laar, Colette & Kawous, Ramin & Beijk, Sarah C.A.M.
- 50-58 Moving to opportunity and mental health: Exploring the spatial context of neighborhood effects
by Graif, Corina & Arcaya, Mariana C. & Diez Roux, Ana V.
- 59-67 Developing robust composite measures of healthcare quality – Ranking intervals and dominance relations for Scottish Health Boards
by Schang, Laura & Hynninen, Yrjänä & Morton, Alec & Salo, Ahti
- 68-78 The Index of Vulnerability: An anthropological method linking social-ecological systems to mental and physical health outcomes
by Tallman, Paula Skye
- 79-87 Understanding public reactions to commercialization of biobanks and use of biobank resources
by Nicol, Dianne & Critchley, Christine & McWhirter, Rebekah & Whitton, Tess
- 88-96 The health effects of the foreclosure crisis and unaffordable housing: A systematic review and explanation of evidence
by Downing, Janelle
- 97-105 A transactional approach to relationships over time between perceived HIV stigma and the psychological and physical well-being of people with HIV
by Miller, Carol T. & Solomon, Sondra E. & Varni, Susan E. & Hodge, James J. & Knapp, F. Andrew & Bunn, Janice Y.
- 106-114 The relationship between electronic gaming machine accessibility and police-recorded domestic violence: A spatio-temporal analysis of 654 postcodes in Victoria, Australia, 2005–2014
by Markham, Francis & Doran, Bruce & Young, Martin
- 115-123 To tell or not to tell: A qualitative interview study on disclosure decisions among children with inflammatory bowel disease
by Barned, Claudia & Stinzi, Alain & Mack, David & O’Doherty, Kieran C.
- 124-132 Moving from rational to normative ideologies of control over public involvement: A case of continued managerial dominance
by Croft, Charlotte & Currie, Graeme & Staniszewska, Sophie
- 133-142 Understanding specialist sharing: A mixed-method exploration in an increasingly price-competitive hospital market
by Westra, Daan & Angeli, Federica & Jatautaitė, Evelina & Carree, Martin & Ruwaard, Dirk
- 143-150 How does the seasonality influence utilitarian walking behaviour in different urbanization settings in Scotland?
by Hong, Jinhyun
- 151-157 “You get to know the people and whether they’re talking sense or not”: Negotiating trust on health-related forums
by Brady, Ellen & Segar, Julia & Sanders, Caroline
- 158-167 Education and alcohol use: A study of gene-environment interaction in young adulthood
by Barr, Peter B. & Salvatore, Jessica E. & Maes, Hermine & Aliev, Fazil & Latvala, Antti & Viken, Richard & Rose, Richard J. & Kaprio, Jaakko & Dick, Danielle M.
- 168-176 Happiness and health across the lifespan in five major cities: The impact of place and government performance
by Hogan, Michael J. & Leyden, Kevin M. & Conway, Ronan & Goldberg, Abraham & Walsh, Deirdre & McKenna-Plumley, Phoebe E.
- 177-184 Mothercraft: Birth work and the making of neoliberal mothers
by McCabe, Katharine
- 185-192 High performance in healthcare priority setting and resource allocation: A literature- and case study-based framework in the Canadian context
by Smith, Neale & Mitton, Craig & Hall, William & Bryan, Stirling & Donaldson, Cam & Peacock, Stuart & Gibson, Jennifer L. & Urquhart, Bonnie
- 193-200 Peer counselling for doctors in Norway: A qualitative study of the relationship between support and surveillance
by Isaksson Rø, Karin & Veggeland, Frode & Aasland, Olaf G.
- 201-209 Involving immigrant religious organizations in HIV/AIDS prevention: The role of bonding and bridging social capital
by Leung, ManChui R. & Chin, John J. & Petrescu-Prahova, Miruna
- 210-218 Cash transfers, maternal depression and emotional well-being: Quasi-experimental evidence from India’s Janani Suraksha Yojana programme
by Powell-Jackson, Timothy & Pereira, Shreya K. & Dutt, Varun & Tougher, Sarah & Haldar, Kaveri & Kumar, Paresh
- 219-226 Challenges in researching violence affecting health service delivery in complex security environments
by Foghammar, Ludvig & Jang, Suyoun & Kyzy, Gulzhan Asylbek & Weiss, Nerina & Sullivan, Katherine A. & Gibson-Fall, Fawzia & Irwin, Rachel
2016, Volume 161, Issue C
- 1-12 Gender inequality and the ‘East-West’ divide in contraception: An analysis at the individual, the couple, and the country level
by Dereuddre, Rozemarijn & Van de Velde, Sarah & Bracke, Piet
- 13-18 Forced removals embodied as tuberculosis
by Richardson, Eugene T. & Morrow, Carl D. & Ho, Theodore & Fürst, Nicole & Cohelia, Rebekkah & Tram, Khai Hoan & Farmer, Paul E. & Wood, Robin
- 19-26 Equally inequitable? A cross-national comparative study of racial health inequalities in the United States and Canada
by Ramraj, Chantel & Shahidi, Faraz Vahid & Darity, William & Kawachi, Ichiro & Zuberi, Daniyal & Siddiqi, Arjumand
- 27-36 Living with sickle cell disease and depression in Lagos, Nigeria: A mixed methods study
by Ola, Bolanle A. & Yates, Scott J. & Dyson, Simon M.
- 37-46 A psychosocial resilience curriculum provides the “missing piece” to boost adolescent physical health: A randomized controlled trial of Girls First in India
by Leventhal, Katherine Sachs & DeMaria, Lisa M. & Gillham, Jane E. & Andrew, Gracy & Peabody, John & Leventhal, Steve M.
- 47-54 Predictors of depressive symptoms following the Great East Japan earthquake: A prospective study
by Tsuboya, Toru & Aida, Jun & Hikichi, Hiroyuki & Subramanian, S.V. & Kondo, Katsunori & Osaka, Ken & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 55-60 Weight-related stigma is a significant psychosocial stressor in developing countries: Evidence from Guatemala
by Hackman, Joseph & Maupin, Jonathan & Brewis, Alexandra A.
- 64-73 The influence of patients’ immigration background and residence permit status on treatment decisions in health care. Results of a factorial survey among general practitioners in Switzerland
by Drewniak, Daniel & Krones, Tanja & Sauer, Carsten & Wild, Verina
- 74-82 The effect of metropolitan-area mortgage delinquency on health behaviors, access to health services, and self-rated health in the United States, 2003–2010
by Charters, Thomas J. & Harper, Sam & Strumpf, Erin C. & Subramanian, S.V. & Arcaya, Mariana & Nandi, Arijit
- 83-91 Identifying components in consent information needed to support informed decision making about trial participation: An interview study with women managing cancer
by Abhyankar, Purva & Velikova, Galina & Summers, Barbara & Bekker, Hilary L.
- 92-99 Regional inequalities in self-rated health in Russia: What is the role of social and economic capital?
by Lyytikäinen, Laura & Kemppainen, Teemu
- 100-108 The social life of the dead: The role of post-mortem examinations in medical student socialisation
by Goodwin, Dawn & Machin, Laura & Taylor, Adam
- 109-117 Culture as a mediator of gene-environment interaction: Cultural consonance, childhood adversity, a 2A serotonin receptor polymorphism, and depression in urban Brazil
by Dressler, William W. & Balieiro, Mauro C. & Ferreira de Araújo, Luiza & Silva, Wilson A. & Ernesto dos Santos, José
- 118-125 Self-reported morbidity and health service utilization in rural Tamil Nadu, India
by Dodd, Warren & King, Nia & Humphries, Sally & Little, Matthew & Dewey, Cate
- 126-133 Lower parental numeracy is associated with children being under- and overweight
by Dallacker, Mattea & Hertwig, Ralph & Peters, Ellen & Mata, Jutta
- 134-142 Using global positioning systems to study health-related mobility and participation
by Brusilovskiy, Eugene & Klein, Louis A. & Salzer, Mark S.
- 143-150 Sexual stigma and symbolic violence experienced, enacted, and counteracted in young Africans’ writing about same-sex attraction
by Winskell, Kate & Sabben, Gaëlle
- 151-159 Do waiting times affect health outcomes? Evidence from coronary bypass
by Moscelli, Giuseppe & Siciliani, Luigi & Tonei, Valentina
- 160-168 ADHD in context: Young adults’ reports of the impact of occupational environment on the manifestation of ADHD
by Lasky, Arielle K. & Weisner, Thomas S. & Jensen, Peter S. & Hinshaw, Stephen P. & Hechtman, Lily & Arnold, L. Eugene & W. Murray, Desiree & Swanson, James M.
- 169-177 The consequences of sickness presenteeism on health and wellbeing over time: A systematic review
by Skagen, Kristian & Collins, Alison M.
- 178-194 Discrimination and drinking: A systematic review of the evidence
by Gilbert, Paul A. & Zemore, Sarah E.
- 195-203 Effects of a settings-based intervention to promote student wellbeing and reduce smoking in vocational schools: A non-randomized controlled study
by Andersen, Susan & Rod, Morten Hulvej & Ersbøll, Annette Kjær & Stock, Christiane & Johansen, Christoffer & Holmberg, Teresa & Zinckernagel, Line & Ingholt, Liselotte & Sørensen, Betina Bang & Tolstrup, Janne Schurmann
2016, Volume 160, Issue C
- 1-8 Embodying health identities: A study of young people with asthma
by Monaghan, Lee F. & Gabe, Jonathan
- 9-19 Geographies of medicalized welfare: Spatial analysis of supplemental security income in the U.S., 2000–2010
by Wong, Sandy
- 20-28 Health, employment and relationships: Correlates of personal wellbeing in young adults with and without a history of childhood language impairment
by Conti-Ramsden, Gina & Durkin, Kevin & Mok, Pearl L.H. & Toseeb, Umar & Botting, Nicola
- 29-34 Has the Spanish economic crisis affected the duration of sickness absence episodes?
by Murcia López, Guillermo & Delclós Clanchet, Jordi & Ubalde López, Mònica & Calvo Bonacho, Eva & Benavides, Fernando G.
- 35-42 Receiving care for intimate partner violence in primary care: Barriers and enablers for women participating in the weave randomised controlled trial
by O’Doherty, Lorna & Taket, Ann & Valpied, Jodie & Hegarty, Kelsey
- 43-53 “I just couldn’t step out of the circle. I was trapped”: Patterns of endurance and distress in Chinese-Canadian women with a history of suicidal behaviour
by Zaheer, Juveria & Shera, Wes & Tsang, A. Ka Tat & Law, Samuel & Fung, Wai Lun Alan & Eynan, Rahel & Lam, June & Zheng, Xiaoqian & Pozi, Liu & Links, Paul S.
- 54-66 Gender, education and Russia’s tobacco epidemic: A life-course approach
by Quirmbach, Diana & Gerry, Christopher J.
- 67-74 Interpreting suffering from illness: The role of culture and repressive suffering construal
by Yang, Qian & Liu, Shi & Sullivan, Daniel & Pan, Shengdong
- 75-86 Timing and utilization of antenatal care services in Liberia: Understanding the pre-Ebola epidemic context
by Luginaah, Isaac N. & Kangmennaang, Joseph & Fallah, Mosoka & Dahn, Bernice & Kateh, Francis & Nyenswah, Tolbert
- 87-93 Lifestyle behaviors and ethnic identity among diverse women at high risk for type 2 diabetes
by Brown, Susan D. & Ehrlich, Samantha F. & Kubo, Ai & Tsai, Ai-Lin & Hedderson, Monique M. & Quesenberry, Charles P. & Ferrara, Assiamira
- 94-101 Detached concern?: Emotional socialization in twenty-first century medical education
by Underman, Kelly & Hirshfield, Laura E.
- 102-110 First-time parents’ shared representation of postpartum depressive symptoms: A qualitative analysis
by Henshaw, Erin J. & Durkin, Kristine M. & Snell, Rita J.
- 111-119 A longitudinal analysis of cross-border ties and depression for Latino adults
by Torres, Jacqueline M. & Lee, Anne & González, Hector M. & Garcia, Lorena & Haan, Mary N.
- 120-127 Prevention of frailty through narrative intervention
by Freitag, S. & Schmidt, S.
2016, Volume 159, Issue C
- 1-13 Living under surveillance: Gender, psychological distress, and stop-question-and-frisk policing in New York City
by Sewell, Abigail A. & Jefferson, Kevin A. & Lee, Hedwig
- 14-21 The discordant pleasures of everyday eating: Reflections on the social gradient in obesity under neo-liberalism
by Bissell, Paul & Peacock, Marian & Blackburn, Joanna & Smith, Christine
- 22-29 Understanding global health and development partnerships: Perspectives from African and global health system professionals
by Barnes, Amy & Brown, Garrett W. & Harman, Sophie
- 30-37 Stress contagion in the classroom? The link between classroom teacher burnout and morning cortisol in elementary school students
by Oberle, Eva & Schonert-Reichl, Kimberly A.
- 38-47 Latino residential segregation and self-rated health among Latinos: Washington State Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2012–2014
by Plascak, Jesse J. & Molina, Yamile & Wu-Georges, Samantha & Idris, Ayah & Thompson, Beti
- 48-57 Rethinking the antivaccine movement concept: A case study of public criticism of the swine flu vaccine’s safety in France
by Ward, Jeremy K.
- 61-72 Suicides and accidents on birthdays: Evidence from Japan
by Matsubayashi, Tetsuya & Ueda, Michiko
- 73-82 The ecocultural context and child behavior problems: A qualitative analysis in rural Nepal
by Burkey, Matthew D. & Ghimire, Lajina & Adhikari, Ramesh Prasad & Wissow, Lawrence S. & Jordans, Mark J.D. & Kohrt, Brandon A.
- 83-91 Economic evaluation of price discounts and skill-building strategies on purchase and consumption of healthy food and beverages: The SHELf randomized controlled trial
by Le, Ha N.D. & Gold, Lisa & Abbott, Gavin & Crawford, David & McNaughton, Sarah A. & Mhurchu, Cliona Ni & Pollard, Christina & Ball, Kylie
- 92-99 Social protection for all ages? Impacts of Ethiopia’s Productive Safety Net Program on child nutrition
by Porter, Catherine & Goyal, Radhika
- 100-107 Collaborative patient-provider communication and uptake of adolescent vaccines
by Moss, Jennifer L. & Reiter, Paul L. & Rimer, Barbara K. & Brewer, Noel T.
- 108-115 The doctor-patient relationship as a toolkit for uncertain clinical decisions
by Diamond-Brown, Lauren
- 116-126 Parental acceptance and uptake of the HPV vaccine among African-Americans and Latinos in the United States: A literature review
by Galbraith, Kayoll V. & Lechuga, Julia & Jenerette, Coretta M. & Moore, LTC Angelo D. & Palmer, Mary H. & Hamilton, Jill B.
- 127-131 A sign of the times: To have or to be? Social capital or social cohesion?
by Carrasco, Maria A. & Bilal, Usama
- 132-139 After geneticization
by Arribas-Ayllon, Michael
- 140-151 Waiting time prioritisation: Evidence from England
by Gutacker, Nils & Siciliani, Luigi & Cookson, Richard
- 152-160 Marital status and mortality: Does family structure in childhood matter?
by Kang, Jeong-han & Kim, Jibum & Lee, Min-Ah
- 161-169 Is Development Assistance for Health fungible? Findings from a mixed methods case study in Tanzania
by Martínez Álvarez, Melisa & Borghi, Josephine & Acharya, Arnab & Vassall, Anna
- 170-179 How do individuals’ health behaviours respond to an increase in the supply of health care? Evidence from a natural experiment
by Fichera, Eleonora & Gray, Ewan & Sutton, Matt
2016, Volume 158, Issue C
- 1-7 Long-term health implications of school quality
by Dudovitz, Rebecca N. & Nelson, Bergen B. & Coker, Tumaini R. & Biely, Christopher & Li, Ning & Wu, Lynne C. & Chung, Paul J.
- 8-13 Birth order and mortality in two ethno-linguistic groups: Register-based evidence from Finland
by Saarela, Jan & Cederström, Agneta & Rostila, Mikael
- 14-23 The acceptability of physical activity interventions to older adults: A systematic review and meta-synthesis
by Devereux-Fitzgerald, Angela & Powell, Rachael & Dewhurst, Anne & French, David P.
- 24-33 The feminine ideal and transactional sex: Navigating respectability and risk in Swaziland
by Fielding-Miller, Rebecca & Dunkle, Kristin L. & Jama-Shai, Nwabisa & Windle, Michael & Hadley, Craig & Cooper, Hannah L.F.
- 34-42 Patient education as a status passage in life – An ethnographic study exploring participation in a Danish group based patient education programme
by Kristiansen, Tine Mechlenborg & Antoft, Rasmus
- 43-51 Ethnic health inequalities in Europe. The moderating and amplifying role of healthcare system characteristics
by Blom, Niels & Huijts, Tim & Kraaykamp, Gerbert
- 52-60 The uncertainty of treatment: Women's use of HIV treatment as prevention in Malawi
by Zhou, Amy
- 61-74 Neighbourhood effects on body constitution–A case study of Hong Kong
by Low, Chien Tat & Lai, Poh Chin & Li, Han Dong & Ho, Wai Kit & Wong, Paulina & Chen, Si & Wong, Wing Cheung
- 75-85 Exploring the relationship between time preference, body fatness, and educational attainment
by Brown, Heather & Biosca, Olga
- 86-95 The impact of precarious employment on mental health: The case of Italy
by Moscone, F. & Tosetti, E. & Vittadini, G.
- 96-104 Fostering reflective trust between mothers and community health nurses to improve the effectiveness of health and nutrition efforts: An ethnographic study in Ghana, West Africa
by Ackatia-Armah, Nana M. & Addy, Nii Antiaye & Ghosh, Shibani & Dubé, Laurette
- 105-113 Do minimum wages improve early life health? Evidence from developing countries
by Majid, Muhammad Farhan & Mendoza Rodríguez, José M. & Harper, Sam & Frank, John & Nandi, Arijit
- 114-121 An examination of health selection among U.S. immigrants using multi-national data
by Ro, Annie & Fleischer, Nancy L. & Blebu, Bridgette
- 122-131 Neighborhood and home food environment and children's diet and obesity: Evidence from military personnel's installation assignment
by Shier, Victoria & Nicosia, Nancy & Datar, Ashlesha
- 132-140 How does employment quality relate to health and job satisfaction in Europe? A typological approach
by Van Aerden, Karen & Puig-Barrachina, Vanessa & Bosmans, Kim & Vanroelen, Christophe
- 141-148 Anticipated stigma and blameless guilt: Mothers' evaluation of life with the sex-linked disorder, hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia (XHED)
by Clarke, Angus
- 149-157 Health as a predictor of early retirement before and after introduction of a flexible statutory pension age in Finland
by Leinonen, Taina & Laaksonen, Mikko & Chandola, Tarani & Martikainen, Pekka
- 158-167 Nutrient intake: A cross-national analysis of trends and economic correlates
by Dave, Dhaval & Doytch, Nadia & Kelly, Inas Rashad
2016, Volume 157, Issue C
- 1-8 “Black folk don't get no severe depression”: Meanings and expressions of depression in a predominantly black urban neighborhood in Midwestern United States
by Alang, Sirry M.
- 9-17 Young maternal age at first birth and mental health later in life: Does the association vary by birth cohort?
by Aitken, Zoe & Hewitt, Belinda & Keogh, Louise & LaMontagne, Anthony D. & Bentley, Rebecca & Kavanagh, Anne M.
- 18-26 Harsh parenting, physical health, and the protective role of positive parent-adolescent relationships
by Schofield, Thomas J. & Conger, Rand D. & Gonzales, Joseph E. & Merrick, Melissa T.
- 27-30 Intimate partner violence against women and the Nordic paradox
by Gracia, Enrique & Merlo, Juan
- 31-38 The power of (Mis)perception: Rethinking suicide contagion in youth friendship networks
by Zimmerman, Gregory M. & Rees, Carter & Posick, Chad & Zimmerman, Lori A.
- 39-47 Income inequality and health in China: A panel data analysis
by Bakkeli, Nan Zou
- 48-59 Valuing the Child Health Utility 9D: Using profile case best worst scaling methods to develop a new adolescent specific scoring algorithm
by Ratcliffe, Julie & Huynh, Elisabeth & Chen, Gang & Stevens, Katherine & Swait, Joffre & Brazier, John & Sawyer, Michael & Roberts, Rachel & Flynn, Terry
- 60-67 Marital disruption is associated with shorter salivary telomere length in a probability sample of older adults
by Whisman, Mark A. & Robustelli, Briana L. & Sbarra, David A.
- 68-77 Turning point or selection? The effect of rustication on subsequent health for the Chinese Cultural Revolution cohort
by Fan, Wen
- 78-86 Types of integration and depressive symptoms: A latent class analysis on the resettled population for the Three Gorges dam project, China
by Xi, Juan
- 87-95 An evaluation of the healthy immigrant effect with adolescents in Canada: Examinations of gender and length of residence
by Kwak, Kyunghwa
- 96-102 Measuring needs for priority setting in healthcare planning and policy
by Herlitz, Anders & Horan, David
- 103-110 Of natural bodies and antibodies: Parents' vaccine refusal and the dichotomies of natural and artificial
by Reich, Jennifer A.
- 111-119 Supporting employees' work-family needs improves health care quality: Longitudinal evidence from long-term care
by Okechukwu, Cassandra A. & Kelly, Erin L. & Bacic, Janine & DePasquale, Nicole & Hurtado, David & Kossek, Ellen & Sembajwe, Grace
- 120-126 Marital transitions and associated changes in fruit and vegetable intake: Findings from the population-based prospective EPIC-Norfolk cohort, UK
by Vinther, Johan L. & Conklin, Annalijn I. & Wareham, Nicholas J. & Monsivais, Pablo
- 127-137 Development, validation, and performance of a scale to measure community mobilization
by Lippman, Sheri A. & Neilands, Torsten B. & Leslie, Hannah H. & Maman, Suzanne & MacPhail, Catherine & Twine, Rhian & Peacock, Dean & Kahn, Kathleen & Pettifor, Audrey
- 138-147 Why are well-educated Muscovites more likely to survive? Understanding the biological pathways
by Todd, Megan A. & Shkolnikov, Vladimir M. & Goldman, Noreen
- 148-155 Social support as a mediator between job control and psychological strain
by Blanch, Angel
- 156-164 Analysis of policy towards improvement of perinatal mortality in the Netherlands (2004–2011)
by Vos, Amber A. & van Voorst, Sabine F. & Steegers, Eric A.P. & Denktaş, Semiha
- 165-185 Risk factors for chronic undernutrition among children in India: Estimating relative importance, population attributable risk and fractions
by Corsi, Daniel J. & Mejía-Guevara, Iván & Subramanian, S.V.
2016, Volume 156, Issue C
- 1-11 Unpaid caregiving and paid work over life-courses: Different pathways, diverging outcomes
by Carmichael, Fiona & Ercolani, Marco G.
- 12-20 Distinct age and self-rated health crossover mortality effects for African Americans: Evidence from a national cohort study
by Roth, David L. & Skarupski, Kimberly A. & Crews, Deidra C. & Howard, Virginia J. & Locher, Julie L.
- 21-28 Increasing illness among people out of labor market – A Danish register-based study
by Andersen, Ingelise & Brønnum-Hansen, Henrik & Kriegbaum, Margit & Hougaard, Charlotte Ørsted & Hansen, Finn Kenneth & Diderichsen, Finn
- 29-38 Medical errors: Disclosure styles, interpersonal forgiveness, and outcomes
by Hannawa, Annegret F. & Shigemoto, Yuki & Little, Todd D.
- 39-46 The margins of medicalization: Diversity and context through the case of infertility
by Bell, Ann V.
- 47-54 Cardiopulmonary resuscitation decisions in the emergency department: An ethnography of tacit knowledge in practice
by Brummell, Stephen P. & Seymour, Jane & Higginbottom, Gina
- 55-63 Influence of neighborhood-level factors on social support in early-stage breast cancer patients and controls
by Thompson, Tess & Rodebaugh, Thomas L. & Pérez, Maria & Struthers, James & Sefko, Julianne A. & Lian, Min & Schootman, Mario & Jeffe, Donna B.
- 64-72 Bisexuality, poverty and mental health: A mixed methods analysis
by Ross, Lori E. & O'Gorman, Laurel & MacLeod, Melissa A. & Bauer, Greta R. & MacKay, Jenna & Robinson, Margaret
- 73-79 Accessibility and use of primary healthcare for immigrants living in the Niagara Region
by Lum, Irene D. & Swartz, Rebecca H. & Kwan, Matthew Y.W.
- 80-89 Cognitive and neurobehavioral symptoms in patients with non-metastatic prostate cancer treated with androgen deprivation therapy or observation: A mixed methods study
by Wu, Lisa M. & Tanenbaum, Molly L. & Dijkers, Marcel P.J.M. & Amidi, Ali & Hall, Simon J. & Penedo, Frank J. & Diefenbach, Michael A.
- 90-97 The social management of biomedical novelty: Facilitating translation in regenerative medicine
by Gardner, John & Webster, Andrew
- 98-105 Adolescent psychological distress, unemployment, and the Great Recession: Evidence from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth 1997
by Egan, Mark & Daly, Michael & Delaney, Liam
- 106-113 The role of patient-provider interactions: Using an accounts framework to explain hospital discharges against medical advice
by Lekas, Helen-Maria & Alfandre, David & Gordon, Peter & Harwood, Katherine & Yin, Michael T.
- 114-124 Childhood adversity and adult health: Evaluating intervening mechanisms
by Turner, R. Jay & Thomas, Courtney S. & Brown, Tyson H.
- 125-133 Stress at work: Differential experiences of high versus low SES workers
by Damaske, Sarah & Zawadzki, Matthew J. & Smyth, Joshua M.
- 134-141 Discrimination and excessive weight gain during pregnancy among Black and Latina young women
by Reid, Allecia E. & Rosenthal, Lisa & Earnshaw, Valerie A. & Lewis, Tené T. & Lewis, Jessica B. & Stasko, Emily C. & Tobin, Jonathan N. & Ickovics, Jeannette R.
- 142-153 Increasing public support for food-industry related, obesity prevention policies: The role of a taste-engineering frame and contextualized values
by Ortiz, Selena E. & Zimmerman, Frederick J. & Adler, Gary J.
- 154-166 Long-term exposure to political violence: The particular injury of persistent humiliation
by Barber, Brian K. & McNeely, Clea & Olsen, Joseph A. & Belli, Robert F. & Doty, Samuel Benjamin
- 167-174 Couples living with and around alcohol abuse: A study of a farmworker community in the Cape Winelands, South Africa
by Lesch, Elmien & Adams, Arlene R.
- 175-183 Where the lay and the technical meet: Using an anthropology of interfaces to explain persistent reproductive health disparities in West Africa
by Jaffré, Yannick & Suh, Siri
- 184-191 Can alcohol make you happy? A subjective wellbeing approach
by Geiger, Ben Baumberg & MacKerron, George
- 192-203 Patients' perceptions and experiences of cardiovascular disease and diabetes prevention programmes: A systematic review and framework synthesis using the Theoretical Domains Framework
by Shaw, Rachel L. & Holland, Carol & Pattison, Helen M. & Cooke, Richard
- 204-211 Exploring the views of people with mental health problems' on the concept of coercion: Towards a broader socio-ethical perspective
by Norvoll, Reidun & Pedersen, Reidar
2016, Volume 155, Issue C
- 1-11 Driving through the Great Recession: Why does motor vehicle fatality decrease when the economy slows down?
by He, Monica M.
- 15-23 The roles of specialisation and evidence-based practice in inter-professional jurisdictions: A qualitative study of stroke services in England, Sweden and Poland
by Baeza, Juan I. & Boaz, Annette & Fraser, Alec
- 24-34 Change and stability in work–family conflict and mothers' and fathers' mental health: Longitudinal evidence from an Australian cohort
by Cooklin, A.R. & Dinh, H. & Strazdins, L. & Westrupp, E. & Leach, L.S. & Nicholson, J.M.
- 35-42 “Drop dead … I need your job”: An exploratory study of intra-professional conflict amongst nurses in two Ontario cities
by Boateng, Godfred O. & Adams, Tracey L.
- 43-50 Understanding kidney transplant patients' treatment choices: The interaction of emotion with medical and social influences on risk preferences
by Harrington, Jean & Morgan, Myfanwy
- 51-60 Enacting the molecular imperative: How gene-environment interaction research links bodies and environments in the post-genomic age
by Darling, Katherine Weatherford & Ackerman, Sara L. & Hiatt, Robert H. & Lee, Sandra Soo-Jin & Shim, Janet K.
- 61-72 Global health diplomacy: A critical review of the literature
by Ruckert, Arne & Labonté, Ronald & Lencucha, Raphael & Runnels, Vivien & Gagnon, Michelle
- 73-81 CAM within a field force of countervailing powers: The case of Portugal
by Almeida, Joana & Gabe, Jonathan
- 82-92 Reproductive history and post-reproductive mortality: A sibling comparison analysis using Swedish register data
by Barclay, Kieron & Keenan, Katherine & Grundy, Emily & Kolk, Martin & Myrskylä, Mikko
- 93-101 Cross-border ties and Arab American mental health
by Samari, Goleen
2016, Volume 154, Issue C
- 1-8 Socio-economic divergence in public opinions about preventive obesity regulations: Is the purpose to ‘make some things cheaper, more affordable’ or to ‘help them get over their own ignorance’?
by Farrell, Lucy C. & Warin, Megan J. & Moore, Vivienne M. & Street, Jackie M.
- 9-17 Gender balance and its impact on male and female smoking rates in Chinese cities
by Yang, Tingzhong & Barnett, Ross & Jiang, Shuhan & Yu, Lingwei & Xian, Hong & Ying, Jun & Zheng, Weijun
- 18-27 An education gradient in health, a health gradient in education, or a confounded gradient in both?
by Lynch, Jamie L. & von Hippel, Paul T.
- 28-35 A question of balance: Explaining differences between parental and grandparental perspectives on preschoolers' feeding and physical activity
by Eli, Karin & Howell, Kyndal & Fisher, Philip A. & Nowicka, Paulina
- 36-44 Educational mismatch and health status among foreign-born workers in Sweden
by Dunlavy, A.C. & Garcy, A.M. & Rostila, M.
- 45-53 Deciding to tell: Qualitative configurational analysis of decisions to disclose experience of intimate partner violence in antenatal care
by Spangaro, Jo & Koziol-McLain, Jane & Zwi, Anthony & Rutherford, Alison & Frail, Mary-Anne & Ruane, Jennifer
- 54-61 Living an everyday life with head and neck cancer 2–2.5 years post-diagnosis – A qualitative prospective study of 56 patients
by Isaksson, Joakim & Salander, Pär & Lilliehorn, Sara & Laurell, Göran
- 62-69 When can parents most influence their child's development? Expert knowledge and perceived local realities
by Worthman, Carol M. & Tomlinson, Mark & Rotheram-Borus, Mary Jane
- 70-84 Simultaneous effect of disabling conditions on primary health care use through a capability approach
by Bussière, Clémence & Sicsic, Jonathan & Pelletier-Fleury, Nathalie
- 85-92 ‘I knew before I was told’: Breaches, cues and clues in the diagnostic assemblage
by Locock, Louise & Nettleton, Sarah & Kirkpatrick, Susan & Ryan, Sara & Ziebland, Sue
- 93-99 Are major behavioral and sociodemographic risk factors for mortality additive or multiplicative in their effects?
by Mehta, Neil & Preston, Samuel
- 100-109 “Have no regrets:” Parents' experiences and developmental tasks in pregnancy with a lethal fetal diagnosis
by Côté-Arsenault, Denise & Denney-Koelsch, Erin
2016, Volume 153, Issue C
- 1-11 Power and the association with relationship quality in South African couples: Implications for HIV/AIDS interventions
by Conroy, Amy A. & McGrath, Nuala & van Rooyen, Heidi & Hosegood, Victoria & Johnson, Mallory O. & Fritz, Katherine & Marr, Alexander & Ngubane, Thulani & Darbes, Lynae A.
- 12-19 Taming the fear of voice: Dilemmas in maintaining a high vaccination rate in the Netherlands
by Geelen, Els & van Vliet, Hans & de Hoogh, Pieter & Horstman, Klasien
- 20-26 The role of social support in protecting mental health when employed and unemployed: A longitudinal fixed-effects analysis using 12 annual waves of the HILDA cohort
by Milner, Allison & Krnjacki, Lauren & Butterworth, Peter & LaMontagne, Anthony D.
- 27-34 Perceived discrimination and poor health: Accounting for self-blame complicates a well-established relationship
by Blodorn, Alison & Major, Brenda & Kaiser, Cheryl
- 35-43 Evidence of social network influence on multiple HIV risk behaviors and normative beliefs among young Tanzanian men
by Mulawa, Marta & Yamanis, Thespina J. & Hill, Lauren M. & Balvanz, Peter & Kajula, Lusajo J. & Maman, Suzanne
- 44-53 IMF-lending programs and suicide mortality
by Goulas, Eleftherios & Zervoyianni, Athina
- 54-61 The myth of the total institution: Written narratives of patients' views of sanatorium care 1908–1959
by Bengtsson, Staffan & Bülow, Pia H.
- 62-70 Poverty dynamics in Germany: Evidence on the relationship between persistent poverty and health behavior
by Aue, Katja & Roosen, Jutta & Jensen, Helen H.