Detecting for Smooth Structural Changes in GARCH Models
Detecting and modelling structural changes in GARCH processes have attracted increasing attention in time series econometrics. In this paper, we propose a new approach to testing structural changes in GARCH models. The idea is to compare the log likelihoods of a time-varying parameter GARCH model and a constant parameter GARCH model, where the time-varying GARCH parameters are estimated by a local quasi-maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) and the constant GARCH parameters are estimated by a standard QMLE. The test does not require any prior information about the alternatives of structural changes. It has an asymptotic N(0,1) distribution under the null hypothesis of parameter constancy and is consistent against a vast class of smooth structural changes as well as abrupt structural breaks with possibly unknown break points. A consistent parametric bootstrap is employed to provide a reliable inference infinite samples and the simulation study highlights the merits of our approach.
|Date of creation:||14 Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.wise.xmu.edu.cn/english/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cristina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008.
"Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure,"
NIPE Working Papers
03/2008, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Amado, Cristina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2008. "Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 691, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Christina Amado & Timo Teräsvirta, 2008. "Modelling Conditional and Unconditional Heteroskedasticity with Smoothly Time-Varying Structure," CREATES Research Papers 2008-08, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi & Min, Insik, 2006. "A Nonparametric Bootstrap Test Of Conditional Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 587-613, August.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Inpyo Lee & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Changepoint Tests for Normal Linear Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1016, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W. K. & Lee, Inpyo & Ploberger, Werner, 1996. "Optimal changepoint tests for normal linear regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 9-38, January.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-234, April.
- Hillebrand, Eric, 2005. "Neglecting parameter changes in GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 121-138.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Piotr Fryzlewicz & Theofanis Sapatinas & Suhasini Subba Rao, 2008. "Normalized least-squares estimation in time-varying ARCH models," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25187, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lee, Sang-Won & Hansen, Bruce E., 1994. "Asymptotic Theory for the Garch(1,1) Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 29-52, March.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2001. "The New Econometrics of Structural Change: Dating Breaks in U.S. Labour Productivity," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 117-128, Fall.
- Dahlhaus, R., 1996. "On the Kullback-Leibler information divergence of locally stationary processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 139-168, March.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1996. "Consistency and Asymptotic Normality of the Quasi-maximum Likelihood Estimator in IGARCH(1,1) and Covariance Stationary GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 575-596, May.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1990. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125.
- Cai, Zongwu, 2007. "Trending time-varying coefficient time series models with serially correlated errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 163-188, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wyi:wpaper:002019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WISE Technical Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.