Foreign Aid and Export Performance: A Panel Data Analysis of Developing Countries
The effect of foreign aid on economic activity of a country can be dampened as it can potentially have adverse effects on exports through a real exchange rate appreciation. In this study we examine the long-term relationship between export performance and foreign aid in developing countries while accounting for other factors. The estimates do not show negative effect of foreign aid on exports. The estimated coefficients are mostly positive but insignificant. The result is robust to use of two different export performance measures and different sub-samples.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 6025, Morgantown, WV 26506-6025|
Phone: (304) 293-7859
Fax: (304) 293-2233
Web page: http://business.wvu.edu/graduate-degrees/phd-economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000.
"Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucia Tajoli, 1999. "The impact of tied aid on trade flows between donor and recipient countries," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 373-388.
- Michael A. Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004.
"Counting chickens when they hatch: The short-term effect of aid on growth,"
- Michael Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004. "Counting Chickens When They Hatch: The Short-term Effect of Aid on Growth," Working Papers 44, Center for Global Development.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Howard J. Wall, 2007.
"The determinants of aid in the post-cold war era,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 533-548.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Howard J. Wall, 2006. "The determinants of aid in the post-cold war era," Working Papers 2006-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay, 2006. "The Determinants of Aid in the Post-Cold War Era," Working Papers 06-14 Classification- JEL, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A, 1999. "External Aid: Help or Hindrance to Export Orientation in Africa?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 578-616, December.
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1985. "Aid, Export Promotion and the Real Exchange Rate: An African Dilemma?," CEPR Discussion Papers 88, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wvu:wpaper:06-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Josh Hall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.