The Effect Of Economic Freedom On Migration Flows Between U.S. States: Is Economic Freedom A Determinant Of Flow Differentials?
Utilizing data from the U.S. Census survey (2000) and the North American Economic Freedom Index (Karebegovic, McMahon, and Samida, 2004), this study evaluates the outcome of economic freedom on gross migration flows within the United States. The estimation process is to use a gravity model. Since longitudinal data is not available, regressions are run on a cross section of data drawn from the survey of 2000. In addition to ordinary least squares estimates, various models of spatial dependency are employed to improve estimation of coefficients and hypothesis results. It is determined that greater economic freedom positively impacts migration between states. Further, it is discovered that a general autoregressive spatial model (GSAR) performs the best out of the selected models and augments the impact of economic freedom on migration.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (304) 293-7859
Fax: (304) 293-2233
Web page: http://www.be.wvu.edu/phd_economics/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cto:journl:v:18:y:1998:i:2:p: is not listed on IDEAS
- Brian Cushing & Jacques Poot, 2003.
"Crossing boundaries and borders: Regional science advances in migration modelling,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 317-338, October.
- Brian Cushing & Jacques Poot, 2003. "Crossing boundaries and borders: Regional science advances in migration modelling," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 317-338, October.
- James D. Gwartney & Robert A. Lawson & Randall G. Holcombe, 1999. "Economic Freedom and the Environment for Economic Growth," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 155(4), pages 643-, December.
- McCann, Philip, 2001. "Urban and Regional Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198776451.
- Herbert G. Grubel, 1998. "Economic Freedom and Human Welfare: Some Empirical Findings," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 18(2), pages 287-304, Fall.
- Nathan J. Ashby, 2005. "Property Rights, Trade, And The Quality Of Life: A Cross-Sectional Analysis Using Alternative Measures," Working Papers 05-14 Classification- JEL, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wvu:wpaper:05-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Josh Hall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.