Using Surveys of Business Perceptions as a Guide to Growth-Enhancing Fiscal Reforms
This paper assesses the merits of using business perceptions of growth constraints as a guide to growth-enhancing fiscal policy reforms. Using endogenous growth models in which the government levies an income tax to provide public inputs to the production of private firms, the paper demonstrates that such perceptions of growth constraints may be misleading from a policy perspective. In particular firms can be expected to systematically overestimate the growth-enhancing effects of lower tax rates relative to public services and public capital, and underestimate the growth-enhancing effects of greater provision of public capital relative to taxation and public services. In addition, we show that firms rank different public services and different types of public capital according to the actual costs they impose on firms. It is then shown that these theoretical predictions regarding how firms rank constraints correspond closely to the observed ranking of constraints by firms in the World Bank’s Enterprise Surveys.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Accounting & Commercial Law, Victoria University of Wellington, PO Box 600, Wellington, New Zealand|
Phone: +64 (4) 463 5775
Fax: +64 (4) 463 5076
Web page: http://www.victoria.ac.nz/sacl/about/chair-in-public-finance
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Misch Florian & Gemmell Norman & Kneller Richard, 2010. "Binding Constraints and Second-Best Strategies in Endogenous Growth Models with Public Finance," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 1(2), pages 1-37, December.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor, 2008.
"Fiscal policy and endogenous growth with public infrastructure,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 57-87, January.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor, 2005. "Fiscal Policy and Endogenous Growth with Public Infrastructure," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0536, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- P R Agénor, 2005. "Fiscal Policy and Endogenous Growth with Public Infrastructure," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 59, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Aterido, Reyes, 2009. "Comparing Apples with....Apples : how to make (more) sense of subjective rankings of constraints to business," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5054, The World Bank.
- Edwards, Lawrence & Balchin, Neil, 2008. "Trade related business climate and manufacturing export performance in Africa: A firm-level analysis," MPRA Paper 32863, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Creedy & Shuyun May Li & Solmaz Moslehi, 2009.
"The Composition of Government Expenditure in an Overlapping Generations Model,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
1064, The University of Melbourne.
- John Creedy & Shuyun May Li & Solmaz Moslehi, 2008. "The Composition of Government Expenditure in an Overlapping Generations Model," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1043, The University of Melbourne.
- Semmler, Willi & Greiner, Alfred & Diallo, Bobo & Rezai, Armon & Rajaram, Anand, 2007.
"Fiscal policy, public expenditure composition, and growth theory and empirics,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4405, The World Bank.
- Willi, Semmlero & Alfred, Greiner & Bobo, Diallo & Anand, Rajaram & Armon, Rezai, 2011. "Fiscal policy, public expenditure composition and growth. theory and empirics," MPRA Paper 35997, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sugata Ghosh & Udayan Roy, 2004. "Fiscal policy, long-run growth, and welfare in a stock-flow model of public goods," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(3), pages 742-756, August.
- Futagami, Koichi & Morita, Yuichi & Shibata, Akihisa, 1993. " Dynamic Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model with Public Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 607-625, December.
- Goncalo Monteiro, 2008. "The composition of productive government expenditure," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 57-83, April.
- Tsoukis, Chris & Miller, Nigel J., 2003. "Public services and endogenous growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 297-307, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vuw:vuwcpf:3140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Library Technology Services)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.