A Pricing Mechanism for CO2 Emissions that Incorporates Future Revisions of Estimates of the Cost of Today?s Emissions
The efficiency of mechanisms to control CO2 emissions is limited by disagreement about the harm from these emissions. Thus existing emission control mechanisms require negotiated compromise regarding either the efficient price or the level of emissions to be tolerated. As an alternative to conventional mechanisms, we offer a mechanism in which today?s price of emissions is determined by a market-based estimate of future beliefs about the cost of emissions. This reduces the uncertainty about the right price for emissions and makes it likely that emitters will base their emission decisions on more accurate estimates of the harm they cause.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3016 Pamplin Hall, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0316|
Web page: http://www.econ.vt.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfers, Justin & Zitzewitz, Eric, 2004.
1854, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Pezzey, John C.V., 2003.
"Emission Taxes and Tradable Permits: A Comparison of Views on Long Run Efficiency,"
2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia
58198, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- John Pezzey, 2003. "Emission Taxes and Tradeable Permits A Comparison of Views on Long-Run Efficiency," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(2), pages 329-342, October.
- John C. V. Pezzey, 2002. "EmissionTaxes and Tradable Permits: A Comparison of views on Long Run Efficiency," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0210, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Paul W. Rhode & Koleman S. Strumpf, 2004. "Historical Presidential Betting Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(2), pages 127-141, Spring.
- repec:reg:rpubli:259 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pizer, William A., 2002. "Combining price and quantity controls to mitigate global climate change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 409-434, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vpi:wpaper:e07-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Djavad Salehi-Isfahani)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.