Horizontal Product Differentiation: Disclosure and Competition
The unraveling argument says that when a rm may produce di erent qualities and quality is unknown to consumers, the rm has an incentive to disclose the private information as in any pool of rms there is a best quality rm and this rm has an incentive to disclose. Recent literature has established that this argument does not carry over to an environment where the product is not vertically, but horizontally di erentiated. This paper argues that with horizontally di erentiated products, competition restores the unraveling argument. In a duopoly market we show that all equilibria of the disclosure game have rms fully disclosing the variety they produce.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Renault, Régis & Anderson, Simon P., 2009.
"Comparative advertising: disclosing horizontal match information,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/12478, Paris Dauphine University.
- Simon P. Anderson & Régis Renault, 2009. "Comparative advertising: disclosing horizontal match information," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(3), pages 558-581.
- Simon P. ANDERSON & Régis RENAULT, 2008. "Comparative Advertising: disclosing horizontal match information," THEMA Working Papers 2008-29, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Levent Celik, 2014. "Information Unraveling Revisited: Disclosure of Horizontal Attributes," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 113-136, 03.
- Janssen, Maarten C.W. & Roy, Santanu, 2010.
"Signaling quality through prices in an oligopoly,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 192-207, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vie:viennp:1205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.