The Dynamic Interrelations between Unequal Neighbors: An Austro-German Case Study
This article investigates the effects and transmission channels of shocks between two asymmetric neighboring countries. In particular, we investigate Austria and Germany which are highly integrated due to their common language and common membership of the European Monetary Union. Generalized impulse response functions reveal that there are large and significant effects of shocks to the German economy on Austria. In contrast, the effects of shocks to the Austrian economy on Germany are barely significant and if they are, their magnitude is comparatively small. Furthermore we can show that multiplier effects are present in Germany but not in Austria and we identify hysteretic properties in Austrian unemployment.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Garratt, Anthony & Lee, Kevin & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2012.
"Global and National Macroeconometric Modelling: A Long-Run Structural Approach,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199650460, December.
- Garratt, Anthony & Lee, Kevin & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2006. "Global and National Macroeconometric Modelling: A Long-Run Structural Approach," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199296859, December.
- Gerhard Fenz & Martin Schneider, 2007. "Transmission of Business Cycle Shocks between Unequal Neighbours: Germany and Austria," Working Papers 137, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Jeffrey Grogger & Gordon H. Hanson, 2008.
"Income Maximization and the Selection and Sorting of International Migrants,"
NBER Working Papers
13821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grogger, Jeffrey & Hanson, Gordon H., 2011. "Income maximization and the selection and sorting of international migrants," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 42-57, May.
- Beyer, Andreas & Doornik, Jurgen A & Hendry, David F, 2001.
"Constructing Historical Euro-Zone Data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(469), pages F102-21, February.
- David Hendry & Jurgen Doornik, 2000. "Constructing Historical Euro-Zone Data," Economics Series Working Papers 4, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Beyer, A. & Doornik, J.A. & Hendry, D.F., 2000. "Constructing Historical Euro-Zone Data," Economics Working Papers eco2000/10, European University Institute.
- Lewer, Joshua J. & Van den Berg, Hendrik, 2008. "A gravity model of immigration," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 164-167, April.
- George J. Borjas, 1995.
"The Economic Benefits from Immigration,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 3-22, Spring.
- Heijdra, Ben J., 2009. "Foundations of Modern Macroeconomics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199210695, December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Paul Gaggl & Serguei Kaniovski & Klaus Prettner & Thomas Url, 2009. "The short and long-run interdependencies between the Eurozone and the USA," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 209-227, May.
- Parente, Stephen L & Prescott, Edward C, 1994. "Barriers to Technology Adoption and Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 298-321, April.
- Horácio Faustino & Nuno Leitão, 2008. "Using the Gravity Equation to Explain the Portuguese Immigration-trade Link," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/12, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vie:viennp:0913. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.