Die Großen Zwei - Wettbewerb im Kreditkartenmarkt?
This article analyzes the market for credit cards. I begin with a discussion of the organization and the characteristics of the market. Next I present the antitrust cases in the USA and the European Union. Contributions to the literature on credit cards in respect to the market characteristics and the antitrust cases are discussed. Finally I compare prices of credit card use with close substitutes (debit cards). I analyze whether costs influence prices of the service. My empirical evidence suggests that prices are not determined by costs and thus inefficiencies must exist given the current market structure.Evidence on special agreements supports the hypothesis that market power is an important factor for price determination.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ausubel, Lawrence M, 1991. "The Failure of Competition in the Credit Card Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 50-81, March.
- Fabio M. Manenti & Ernesto Somma, 2002. "Plastic Clashes: Competition among Closed and Open Systems in the Credit Card Industry," Industrial Organization 0211012, EconWPA.
- Gans Joshua S & King Stephen P, 2003. "The Neutrality of Interchange Fees in Payment Systems," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 2002.
"Payment Systems and Interchange Fees,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 103-22, June.
- Baxter, William F, 1983. "Bank Interchange of Transactional Paper: Legal and Economic Perspectives," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 541-88, October.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Gregory K. Leonard & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"On Non-Exclusive Membership in Competing Joint Ventures,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
506439000000000145, David K. Levine.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Leonard, Gregory K & Tirole, Jean, 2003. " On Nonexclusive Membership in Competing Joint Ventures," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(1), pages 43-62, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vie:viennp:0201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.