Measured as poor versus feeling poor: Comparing objective and subjective poverty rates in South Africa
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Mahar Mangahas, 2001. "Subjective Poverty and Affluence in the Philippines," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 38(2), pages 122-134, December.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Shilpi, Forhad, 2008.
"Subjective welfare, isolation, and relative consumption,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 43-60, April.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Shilpi, Forhad, 2006. "Subjective Welfare, Isolation and Relative Consumption," CEPR Discussion Papers 6002, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Lokshin & Nithin Umapathi & Stefano Paternostro, 2006.
"Robustness of subjective welfare analysis in a poor developing country: Madagascar 2001,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 559-591.
- Lokshin, Michael & Umapathi, Nithin & Paternostro, Stefano, 2004. "Robustness of subjective welfare analysis in a poor developing country - Madagascar 2001," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3191, The World Bank.
- Gero Carletto & Alberto Zezza, 2006.
"Being poor, feeling poorer: Combining objective and subjective measures of welfare in Albania,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(5), pages 739-760.
- Gero Carletto & Alberto Zezza, 2004. "Being Poor, Feeling Poorer: Combining objective and subjective measures of welfare in Albania," Working Papers 04-12, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Case, Anne & Deaton, Angus, 1998.
"Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(450), pages 1330-1361, September.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 1996. "Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa," NBER Working Papers 5572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Case, A. & Deaton, A., 1996. "Large Cash Transfers to the Elderly in South Africa," Papers 176, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Paula Armstrong & Cobus Burger, 2009. "Poverty, Inequality and the Role of Social Grants: An Analysis using Decomposition Techniques," Working Papers 15/2009, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Angus Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1998.
"Economies of Scale, Household Size, and the Demand for Food,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 897-930, October.
- Deaton, A. & Paxson, C., 1997. "Economies of Scale, Household Size, and the Demand for Food," Papers 178, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Laura Poswell & Pranushka & Matthew Welch & Ingrid Woolard, 2004.
"Measuring recent changes in South African inequality and poverty using 1996 and 2001 census data,"
SALDRU/CSSR Working Papers
084, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Laura Poswell & Pranushka Naidoo & Matthew Welch & Ingrid Woolard, 2005. "Measuring Recent Changes in South African Inequality and Poverty using 1996 and 2001 Census Data," Working Papers 05094, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Ardington, Cally & Lam, David & Leibbrandt, Murray & Welch, Matthew, 2006. "The sensitivity to key data imputations of recent estimates of income poverty and inequality in South Africa," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 822-835, September.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Ravallion, Martin, 1995. "Poverty and Household Size," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1415-1434, November.
- Haroon Bhorat & Ravi Kanbur, 2005.
"Poverty and Well-being in Post-Apartheid South Africa: An Overview of Data, Outcomes and Policy,"
05101, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Bhorat, Haroon & Kanbur, Ravi, 2006. "Poverty and Well-being in Post-Apartheid South Africa: An Overview of Data, Outcomes and Policy," Working Papers 127035, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Javier Herrera & Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud, 2006. "The determinants of subjective poverty: A comparative analysis in Madagascar and Peru," Working Papers DT/2006/01, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Carter, Michael R. & May, Julian, 2001. "One Kind of Freedom: Poverty Dynamics in Post-apartheid South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(12), pages 1987-2006, December.
- John A. Bishop & Feijun Luo & Xi Pan, 2006. "Economic Transition And Subjective Poverty In Urban China," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(4), pages 625-641, December.
- Michael Hagerty & Robert Cummins & Abbott Ferriss & Kenneth Land & Alex Michalos & Mark Peterson & Andrew Sharpe & Joseph Sirgy & Joachim Vogel, 2001. "Quality of Life Indexes for National Policy: Review and Agenda for Research," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 1-96, July.
- Sendhil Mullainathan & Marianne Bertrand, 2001. "Do People Mean What They Say? Implications for Subjective Survey Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 67-72, May.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Ingrid Woolard & Arden Finn & Jonathan Argent, 2010. "Trends in South African Income Distribution and Poverty since the Fall of Apartheid," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 101, OECD Publishing.
- Haroon Bhorat & Carlene van der Westhuizen & Pranushka Naidoo, 2006. "Shifts in Non-Income Welfare in South Africa: 1993-2004," Working Papers 06108, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Josh Budlender & Murray Leibbrandt & Ingrid Woolard, 2015. "South African poverty lines: a review and two new money-metric thresholds," SALDRU Working Papers 151, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
More about this item
Keywordsincome poverty; subjective poverty; economies of scale; adult equivalence;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2014-133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mauricio Roa Grisales). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/widerfi.html .