Foreign Aid and Mobilization of Growth Factors in Sub-Saharan Africa
This study addresses the macroeconomic effect of foreign aid on the factors of growth. Specifically, we examine the effects of foreign aid on capital investment (human capital, physical capital) in sub-Saharan Africa. Our methodological approach evaluates the effect of disaggregate aid (aid for infrastructure and aid for education) on capital investment. To test our postulate, we make use of panel data of 37 sub-Saharan African states over the period 2000-10. The results of the regressions show that foreign aid positively and significantly affected the physical capital accumulation in the countries under review. The effect of aid for infrastructure is less important in post-conflict environments than in stable environments. Concerning the impacts of aid on human capital, we find that aid enhances enrolment in primary education. We also note that there is no statistical difference between stable countries and post-conflict countries in terms of the effectiveness of aid for education.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurent WAGNER & Rohen DE JUNET D'AIGLEPIERRE, 2010.
"Aid and Universal Primary Education,"
- Levy, Victor, 1988. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: The recent experience," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1777-1795, November.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999.
"The search for the key : aid, investment, and policies in Africa,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2070, The World Bank.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999. "The Search for the Key: Aid, Investment and Policies in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 546-577, December.
- repec:dgr:rugcds:199906 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Boaz Nandwa, 2007.
"On the Impact of Foreign Aid in Education on Growth: How Relevant is the Heterogeneity of Aid Flows and the Heterogeneity of Aid Recipients?,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200701, University of Kansas, Department of Economics.
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Boaz Nandwa, 2007. "On the Impact of Foreign Aid in Education on Growth: How Relevant Is the Heterogeneity of Aid Flows and the Heterogeneity of Aid Recipients?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(4), pages 631-649, December.
- Kwabena Gyimah-Brempong & Jeffrey Racine, 2010. "Aid and investment in LDCs: A robust approach," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 319-349.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2000.
"Aid and Growth Regressions,"
62288, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gomanee, Karuna & Girma, Sourafel & Morrissey, Oliver, 2005.
"Aid and Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: Accounting for Transmission Mechanisms,"
WIDER Working Paper Series
060, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Karuna Gomanee & Sourafel Girma & Oliver Morrissey, 2005. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: accounting for transmission mechanisms," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(8), pages 1055-1075.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 1999.
"Aid Effectiveness Disputed,"
62290, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- William Easterly, 2007. "Was Development Assistance a Mistake?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 328-332, May.
- repec:unu:wpaper:wp2012-75 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lensink, Robert & Morrissey, Oliver, 1999. "Aid instability as a measure of uncertainty and the positive impact of aid on growth," CDS Research Reports 199906, University of Groningen, Centre for Development Studies (CDS).
- Felix K. Rioja, 2003. "The Penalties of Inefficient Infrastructure," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 127-137, February.
- Riddell, Abby Rubin, 2012. "The Effectiveness of Foreign Aid to Education: What Can Be Learned?," WIDER Working Paper Series 075, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2013-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mauricio Roa Grisales)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.