Foreign Aid and Mobilization of Growth Factors in Sub-Saharan Africa
This study addresses the macroeconomic effect of foreign aid on the factors of growth. Specifically, we examine the effects of foreign aid on capital investment (human capital, physical capital) in sub-Saharan Africa. Our methodological approach evaluates the effect of disaggregate aid (aid for infrastructure and aid for education) on capital investment. To test our postulate, we make use of panel data of 37 sub-Saharan African states over the period 2000-10. The results of the regressions show that foreign aid positively and significantly affected the physical capital accumulation in the countries under review. The effect of aid for infrastructure is less important in post-conflict environments than in stable environments. Concerning the impacts of aid on human capital, we find that aid enhances enrolment in primary education. We also note that there is no statistical difference between stable countries and post-conflict countries in terms of the effectiveness of aid for education.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d’Aiglepierre, Rohen & Wagner, Laurent, 2013.
"Aid and Universal Primary Education,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 95-112.
- Laurent WAGNER & Rohen DE JUNET D'AIGLEPIERRE, 2010. "Aid and Universal Primary Education," Working Papers 201022, CERDI.
- Rohen D'Aiglepierre & Laurent Wagner, 2011. "Aid and Universal Primary Education," Working Papers halshs-00552241, HAL.
- Kwabena Gyimah-Brempong & Jeffrey Racine, 2010. "Aid and investment in LDCs: A robust approach," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 319-349.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999. "The Search for the Key: Aid, Investment and Policies in Africa," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 546-577, December.
- Dollar, David & Easterly, William, 1999. "The search for the key : aid, investment, and policies in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2070, The World Bank.
- William Easterly, 2007. "Was Development Assistance a Mistake?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 328-332, May.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 1999. "Aid Effectiveness Disputed," MPRA Paper 62290, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:unu:wpaper:wp2012-75 is not listed on IDEAS
- Riddell, Abby Rubin, 2012. "The Effectiveness of Foreign Aid to Education: What Can Be Learned?," WIDER Working Paper Series 075, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Boaz Nandwa, 2007. "On the Impact of Foreign Aid in Education on Growth: How Relevant Is the Heterogeneity of Aid Flows and the Heterogeneity of Aid Recipients?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 143(4), pages 631-649, December.
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Boaz Nandwa, 2007. "On the Impact of Foreign Aid in Education on Growth: How Relevant is the Heterogeneity of Aid Flows and the Heterogeneity of Aid Recipients?," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200701, University of Kansas, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Aid and growth regressions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 547-570, April.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2000. "Aid and Growth Regressions," MPRA Paper 62288, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Aid effectiveness disputed," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398.
- Karuna Gomanee & Sourafel Girma & Oliver Morrissey, 2005. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: accounting for transmission mechanisms," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(8), pages 1055-1075.
- Gomanee, Karuna & Girma, Sourafel & Morrissey, Oliver, 2005. "Aid and Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: Accounting for Transmission Mechanisms," WIDER Working Paper Series 060, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lensink, Robert & Morrissey, Oliver, 1999. "Aid instability as a measure of uncertainty and the positive impact of aid on growth," CDS Research Reports 199906, University of Groningen, Centre for Development Studies (CDS).
- repec:dgr:rugcds:199906 is not listed on IDEAS
- Felix K. Rioja, 2003. "The Penalties of Inefficient Infrastructure," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 127-137, February.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- Levy, Victor, 1988. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: The recent experience," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1777-1795, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2013-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mauricio Roa Grisales)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.