Assessing Foreign Aid?s Long-Run Contribution to Growth in Development
This paper confirms recent evidence of a positive impact of aid on growth and widens the scope of evaluation to a range of outcomes including proximate sources of growth (e.g., physical and human capital), indicators of social welfare (e.g., poverty and infant mortality), and measures of economic transformation (e.g., share of agriculture and industry in value added). Focusing on long-run cumulative effects of aid in developing countries, and taking due account of potential endogeneity, a coherent and favorable pattern of results emerges. Aid has over the past forty years stimulated growth, promoted structural change, improved social indicators and reduced poverty.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephan Klasen & Mark Misselhorn, 2008.
"Determinants of the Growth Semi-Elasticity of Poverty Reduction,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
176, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Misselhorn, Mark & Klasen, Stephan, 2006. "Determinants of the Growth Semi-Elasticity of Poverty Reduction," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 15, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Todd Moss & Gunilla Pettersson & Nicolas van de Walle, 2006. "An Aid-Institutions Paradox? A Review Essay on Aid Dependency and State Building in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers 74, Center for Global Development.
- Frot, Emmanuel & Perrotta, Maria, 2009. "Aid Eff ectiveness: New Instrument, New Results?," SITE Working Paper Series 11, Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Tseday Jemaneh Mekasha & Finn Tarp, 2013.
"Aid and Growth: What Meta-Analysis Reveals,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(4), pages 564-583, April.
- Pack, Howard & Pack, Janet Rothenberg, 1993. "Foreign Aid and the Question of Fungibility," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 258-65, May.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2006.
"Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
12269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2007. "Disease and Development: The Effect of Life Expectancy on Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(6), pages 925-985, December.
- Odedokun, Matthew, 2003. "Analysis of Deviations and Delays in Aid Disbursements," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005.
"Aid and Growth; What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?,"
IMF Working Papers
05/127, International Monetary Fund.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2008. "Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 643-665, November.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Aid and Growth: What Does The Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," Working Papers id:54, eSocialSciences.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005. "Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," NBER Working Papers 11513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Pivovarsky & Benedict J. Clements & Sanjeev Gupta & Erwin Tiongson, 2003. "Foreign Aid and Revenue Response; Does the Composition of Aid Matter?," IMF Working Papers 03/176, International Monetary Fund.
- Birchler, Kassandra & Michaelowa, Katharina, 2013.
"Making Aid Work for Education in Developing Countries : an Analysis of Aid Effectiveness for Primary Education Coverage and Quality,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Birchler, Kassandra & Michaelowa, Katharina, 2016. "Making aid work for education in developing countries: An analysis of aid effectiveness for primary education coverage and quality," International Journal of Educational Development, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 37-52.
- Matthew Odedokun, 2003. "Analysis Of Deviations And Delays In Aid Disbursements," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 137-169, June.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-29, October.
- François Bourguignon & Mark Sundberg, 2007.
"Aid Effectiveness – Opening the Black Box,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(2), pages 316-321, May.
- Bloom, David E. & Canning, David & Sevilla, Jaypee, 2004. "The Effect of Health on Economic Growth: A Production Function Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Michael A. Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil R. Bhavnani & Samuel Bazzi, 2012. "Counting Chickens when they Hatch: Timing and the Effects of Aid on Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(561), pages 590-617, 06.
- Michael Clemens & Samuel Bazzi, 2009. "Blunt Instruments: On Establishing the Causes of Economic Growth," Working Papers 171, Center for Global Development.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2001.
"Aid and growth regressions,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 547-570, April.
- Tavares, Jose, 2003. "Does foreign aid corrupt?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 99-106, April.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michaelowa, Katharina, 2004. "Aid Effectiveness Reconsidered: Panel Data Evidence for the Education Sector," HWWA Discussion Papers 264, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Jack, William & Lewis, Maureen, 2009. "Health investments and economic growth : macroeconomic evidence and microeconomic foundations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4877, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2013-072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.