Stability and Vulnerability of the Latin American Middle Class
Using panel datasets from Mexico and Chile for the 2000s, we examine the determinants of middle-class intra-generational mobility. We define the middle class by means of a latent index of economic wellbeing that is less sensitive to short-term fluctuation
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2008.
"What Is Middle Class about the Middle Classes around the World?,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(2), pages 3-28, Spring.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Duflo, Esther, 2007. "What is Middle Class about the Middle Classes Around the World?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6613, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Esther Duflo & Abhijit Banerjee, 2008. "What is Middle Class About the Middle Classes Around the World?," Working Papers id:1363, eSocialSciences.
- Josten, Stefan Dietrich, 2005. "Middle-Class Consensus, Social Capital and the Mechanics of Economic Development," Working Paper 36/2005, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto, 1996.
"Income distribution, political instability, and investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1203-1228, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1993. "Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 4486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Murphy, Kevin M. & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1989.
"Industrialization and the Big Push,"
3606235, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Woolard, Ingrid & Klasen, Stephan, 2004.
"Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1030, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ingrid Woolard & Stephan Klasen, 2005. "Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 865-897.
- Milanovic, Branko & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 2001.
"Decomposing world income distribution : does the world have a middle class ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2562, The World Bank.
- Milanovic, Branko & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 2002. "Decomposing World Income Distribution: Does the World Have a Middle Class?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(2), pages 155-78, June.
- Partridge, Mark D, 1997. "Is Inequality Harmful for Growth? Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1019-32, December.
- Robert J. Barro, 1999.
"Determinants of Democracy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(S6), pages S158-S183, December.
- David McKenzie, 2005. "Measuring inequality with asset indicators," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 229-260, 06.
- Aaron Tornell & Gerardo Esquivel Hernández, 1997.
"The Political Economy of Mexico's Entry into NAFTA,"
in: Regionalism versus Multilateral Trade Arrangements, NBER-EASE Volume 6, pages 25-56
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmelo MESA-LAGO, 2008. "Social protection in Chile: Reforms to improve equity," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 147(4), pages 377-402, December.
- Lopez-Calva, Luis F. & Ortiz-Juarez, Eduardo, 2011.
"A vulnerability approach to the definition of the middle class,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5902, The World Bank.
- Luis López-Calva & Eduardo Ortiz-Juarez, 2014. "A vulnerability approach to the definition of the middle class," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 23-47, March.
- Perotti, Roberto & Alesina, Alberto, 1996. "Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4553018, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Julian Messina & Jamele Rigolini & Luis-Felipe López-Calva & Maria Ana Lugo & Renos Vakis, 2013. "Economic Mobility and the Rise of the Latin American Middle Class," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11858, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2012-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.