Changes in Labour Market Conditions and Policies: Their Impact on Wage Inequality during the Last Decade
Labour market incomes have been a major contributor to the important fall in inequality in Latin America during the 2000s. Indeed, it was the main contributor in countries where inequality fell more dramatically. A proper understanding of the workings of the labour market is necessary to comprehend why inequality fell, what lies ahead of us and what we can do to achieve more equitable societies in Latin America. Social progress was real in the last decade but we should not overlook the structural deficits that still remain in Latin American labour markets. Inequality fell more dramatically in countries where formality rose faster and real minimum wages increased more significantly. Labour market institutions have a played positive role in reducing inequity in the last decade.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristensen, Nicolai & Cunningham, Wendy, 2006. "Do minimum wages in Latin America and the Caribbean matter ? Evidence from 19 countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3870, The World Bank.
- Marcelo Medeiros & Tatiana Britto & Fabio Veras Soares, 2008. "Targeted Cash Transfer Programmes in Brazil: BPC and the Bolsa Familia," Working Papers 46, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Cecchini, Simone & Uthoff, Andras, 2007. "Reducción de la pobreza, tendencias demográficas, familias y mercado de trabajo en América Latina," Políticas Sociales 136, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Francesco Devicienti & Fernando Groisman & Ambra Poggi, 2009. "Informality and poverty: Are these processes dynamically interrelated? Evidence from Argentina," Working Papers 146, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Titelman Kardonsky, Daniel & Vera, Cecilia & Pérez Caldentey, Esteban, 2009.
"The Latin American experience in pension system reform: coverage, fiscal issues and possible implications for China,"
Financiamiento para el Desarrollo
210, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Titelman, Daniel & Vera, Cecilia & Perez Caldentey, Esteban, 2008. "The Latin American experience in pension system reform: Coverage, fiscal issues and possible implications for China," MPRA Paper 13730, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Guillermo Cruces, 2010. "Las Asignaciones Universales Por Hijo. Impacto, Discusión y Alternativas," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0102, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Rofman, Rafael & Fajnzylber, Eduardo & Herrera, Germán, 2010. "Reformando las reformas previsionales: en la Argentina y Chile," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), August.
- James J. Heckman & Carmen Pagés, 2004.
"Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean,"
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number heck04-1, October.
- James Heckman & Carmen Pages, 2003. "Law and Employment: Lessons from Latin America and the Caribbean," NBER Working Papers 10129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares, 2006. "Distribuição de Renda no Brasil de 1976 a 2004 com Ênfase no Período Entre 2001 e 2004," Discussion Papers 1166, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2009. "Labor Regulations, Unions, and Social Protection in Developing Countries: Market distortions or Efficient Institutions?," NBER Working Papers 14789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ilo:esbook:ebook11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Berg, Janine, 2010. "Laws or luck? Understanding rising formality in Brazil in the 2000s," MPRA Paper 43608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2012-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Bruck Tadesse to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.