The Political Economy of Food Price Policy in South Africa
This paper analyses the food price trends in South Africa during two periods of rapid food price inflation that occurred in the decade 2000–10 and unpacks the political reaction and policy responses to the food price crises in these two periods. Based on personal recollection of events during the past decade, interviews with former politicians and state officials, as well as a thorough investigation of relevant cabinet and government documents it is concluded that agricultural and food policy in South Africa remained largely unchanged with no controls or regulations introduced. The South African state has maintained since 1998 a substantive social welfare programme reaching the poorest 20 per cent of the South African population, which has provided an important safety net during periods of high food prices. The South African government nevertheless implemented a set of `second class´ interventions that mostly target the poorer section of the population in an attempt to mitigate the negative effects of price changes and include elements such as food parcels, agricultural starter packs, and vegetable gardens.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dorrit Posel & Michael Rogan, 2012.
"Gendered trends in poverty in the post-apartheid period, 1997--2006,"
Development Southern Africa,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 97-113, March.
- Dorrit Posel & Michael Rogan, 2011. "Gendered Trends in Poverty in the Post-Apartheid Period, 1997 - 2006," Working Papers 205, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Abidoye, Babatunde O. & Marlene, Labuschagne, 2012. "The Transmission of World Maize Price to South African Maize Market: A Threshold Cointegration Approach," Working Papers 206515, University of Pretoria, Department of Agricultural Economics, Extension and Rural Development.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Ingrid Woolard & Arden Finn & Jonathan Argent, 2010. "Trends in South African Income Distribution and Poverty since the Fall of Apartheid," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 101, OECD Publishing.
- Nick Vink, 2004. "The influence of policy on the roles of agriculture in South Africa," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 155-177.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2012-102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mauricio Roa Grisales)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.