Industrial Policy in the Twenty-First Century
Industrial policy has attracted considerable controversy in the development context. This paper makes a case for a pragmatic and limited approach to interventions as a means of stimulating industrialization in the context of current and future challenges facing newly industrializing economies. It begins with a simple definition of industrial policy, a brief survey of the theoretical case, and a taxonomy of different possible interventions. Recent empirical evidence on the role of industrialization in development is examined, whilst considering how far government policy per se has contributed to manufacturing success. Finally, a series of key issues for today.s industrializing economies that industrial policy needs to address are highlighted.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus Noland & Howard Pack, 2003. "Industrial Policy in an Era of Globalization: Lessons from Asia," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 358.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002.
"Economic Development as Self Discovery,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3356, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," Working Paper Series rwp02-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Dani Rodrik, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," NBER Working Papers 8952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poonam Gupta & Rana Hasan & Utsav Kumar, 2008.
"What Constrains Indian Manufacturing?,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22162, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Albaladejo, Manuel, 2004.
"China's Competitive Performance: A Threat to East Asian Manufactured Exports?,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1441-1466, September.
- Sanjaya Lall and Manuel Albaladejo (QEH), . "China’s Competitive Performance: A Threat To East Asian Manufactured Exports?," QEH Working Papers qehwps110, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2011-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.