The Long-Run Impact of Foreign Aid in 36 African Countries: Insights from Multivariate Time Series Analysis
Studies of aid effectiveness abound in the literature, often with opposing conclusions. Since most time-series studies use data from the exact same publicly available data bases, our claim here is that such differences in results must be due to the use of different econometric models and methods. To investigate this we perform a comprehensive study of the long-run effect of foreign aid (ODA) on a set of key macroeconomic variables in 36 sub-Saharan African countries from mid-1960s to 2007. We use a well-specified (Cointegrated) VAR (CVAR) model as our statistical benchmark. It represents a much-needed general-to-specific approach which can provide broad confidence intervals within which empirically relevant claims should fall. Based on stringent statistical testing, our results provide broad support for a positive long-run impact of ODA flows on the macroeconomy. For example, we find a positive effect of ODA on investment in 33 of the 36 included countries, but hardly any evidence supporting the view that aid has been harmful. From a methodological point of view our study documents the importance of transparency in results reporting in particular when the statistical null does not correspond to a natural economic null hypothesis. Our study identifies three reasons for econometrically unsatisfactory results in the literature: failure to adequately account for unit roots and breaks; imposing seemingly innocuous but invalid data transformations; and imposing aid endogeneity/exogeneity without testing.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karuna Gomanee & Sourafel Girma & Oliver Morrissey, 2005.
"Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: accounting for transmission mechanisms,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(8), pages 1055-1075.
- Gomanee, Karuna & Girma, Sourafel & Morrissey, Oliver, 2005. "Aid and Growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: Accounting for Transmission Mechanisms," Working Paper Series RP2005/60, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Tseday Jemaneh Mekasha & Finn Tarp, 2013.
"Aid and Growth: What Meta-Analysis Reveals,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(4), pages 564-583, April.
- Bacha, Edmar L., 1990. "A three-gap model of foreign transfers and the GDP growth rate in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 279-296, April.
- Arndt Channing & Jones Sam & Tarp Finn, 2010.
"Aid, Growth, and Development: Have We Come Full Circle?,"
Journal of Globalization and Development,
De Gruyter, vol. 1(2), pages 1-29, December.
- Channing, Arndt & Jones, Sam & Tarp, Finn, 2010. "Aid, Growth, and Development Have We Come Full Circle?," Working Paper Series wp2010-96, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 1999.
"Aid Effectiveness Disputed,"
62290, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Swaroop, vinaya, 1998. "The implications of foreign aid fungibility for development assistance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2022, The World Bank.
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2000.
"Aid and Growth Regressions,"
62288, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jusélius, Katarina, 2009. "Special Issue on Using Econometrics for Assessing Economic Models: An Introduction," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 3, pages 1-20.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679, March.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Martin Paldam, 2005. "Aid Effectiveness on Growth. A Meta Study," Economics Working Papers 2005-13, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Heller, Peter S, 1975. "A Model of Public Fiscal Behavior in Developing Countries: Aid, Investment, and Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 429-45, June.
- Easterly, William, 1999. "The ghost of financing gap: testing the growth model used in the international financial institutions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 423-438, December.
- Spanos, Aris, 2009. "The Pre-Eminence of Theory versus the European CVAR Perspective in Macroeconometric Modeling," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 3, pages 1-14.
- Tarp, Finn, 2006.
"Aid and Development,"
13171, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kongsted, Hans Christian, 2005. "Testing the nominal-to-real transformation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 205-225, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2011-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.