The Face of Urban Poverty Explaining the Prevalence of Slums in Developing Countries
One of the most visible and enduring manifestations of urban poverty in developing countries is the formation and proliferation of slums. While attention has focused on the rapid pace of urbanization as the sole or major factor explaining the proliferation of slums and squatter settlements in developing countries, there are other factors whose impacts are not known with much degree of certainty. It is also not clear how the effects of these factors vary across regions of the developing world. This paper accounts for differences in the prevalence of slums among developing countries using data drawn from the recent global assessment of slums undertaken by the United Nations Human Settlements Programme. The empirical analysis identifies substantial inter-country variations in the incidence of slums both within and across the regions of Africa, Asia as well as, Latin America and the Caribbean. Further analysis indicates that higher GDP
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sumila Gulyani & Ellen M Bassett, 2007. "Retrieving the baby from the bathwater: slum upgrading in Sub-Saharan Africa," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 25(4), pages 486-515, August.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1999. "Governance matters," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2196, The World Bank.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1999. "Aggregating governance indicators," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2195, The World Bank.
- Ben Arimah, 2004. "Poverty Reduction and Human Development in Africa," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 399-415.
- Mayo, Stephen K & Malpezzi, Stephen & Gross, David J, 1986. "Shelter Strategies for the Urban Poor in Developing Countries," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 1(2), pages 183-203, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:wp2010-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.